What does it mean when someone is called "passive aggresive"?

Didnt know which cat. to put this in

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A passive aggressive person will not tell you that they are mad or upset, but they will do things intentionally that they know will irritate you. If you need to be somewhere at a certain time and your  passive aggressive husband is holding some sort of grudge against you, he may intentionally wait until the last minute to get in the shower because he knows it will bother you to be late.  If you are passive aggressive and you are mad at your husband you may intentionally forget to buy his favorite cereal at the grocery store, or you may buy the wrong brand of shaving cream on purpose.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I always think of a passive-aggressive person as someone with a lot of anger, bitterness, and nastiness who doesn't have the courage to be that way directly to people's faces. They do underhanded things to vent their frustrations out on others.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It means that they do sneaky, mean-spirited things that look "nice" on the surface. (Like cook something for dinner that they know their SO hates.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Passive agressive people intentionally do things to slight or hurt other people as a way of expressing their anger or frustration with someone. They don't directly confront the person they are upset with, but instead subtly or not so subtly get back at him/her.

I used to do it sometimes. Like it someone called and was snotty to me at my old job (I used to hate phone calls of "I screwed this up but it's YOUR FAULT and OMFG you have to FIX THIS RIGHT NOW!!!111eleventybillion!" that I'd take whatever I was working on for them and put it on the bottom of the stack for the day. It still got done, and it still got done THAT DAY, but not first like they wanted.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think some passive aggressive people grew up in families where they weren't comfortable or weren't allowed to express anger, frustration or their feelings in general, so they find other ways to deal with those feelings, like forgetting things on purpose or acting helpless. I can think of at least one person I know who does this a lot, but knowing how she was brought up I'm just happy she's as normal as she is. It does bug me when she is not direct though, but I try to be sympathetic. I'm sure a lot of people can be passive aggressive occasionally, but some people really have a problem with it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think if you look in the dictionary my EX hubby and his bride are in there!!!!
    Anonymous