Inducing

I would like to hear what your expirences were like if you were induced, i am being induced tomorrow and I don't really know what to expect.....

ErinT

Asked by ErinT at 4:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Induced with my first DS at 36 weeks. He was gestationally large and I had complications. I went in at 7pm on June 7th...given Cervadyl at 7:30pm. Had minor contractions all night. Woke up at 7am was only 1cm. Had Pitocin at 7:30am...NEVER EVER felt a contraction until Doc broke my water at 2:30pm. then was in pretty good pain so doc gave me a shot of morphine which helped slighty and after a few hours I got the epidural (which is AMAZING). Epidural was turned off at 10:00pm and I had little man at 11:32pm on June 8th he was 9lbs. I wasnt induced with my second DS but was given pitocin because he wasnt coming down fast enough. Still didnt feel any contractions until I got to about 5 cm and then doc insisted I get the epidural because he was turning the pitocin all the way up. Little man was born on 8-25-10 at 6:21pm 9lbs 7oz.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 4:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was induced with my first at 35 weeks due to medical conditions. The laboring process was very intense and required pain management from the start. However, my labor did go pretty quickly.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• just relax and go with it and concentrate on getting your baby out before you know it you'll be like WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
    While you are holding your bundle of joy ;) GL Ipray you have a quick and smooth delivery congrats!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Remember everyone is different & handles pain differently. That being said, ask for the epidural up front! Being induced makes the contractions stronger/more intense. Besides, no one gives you a prize for suffering thru labor. I've tried the natural way & the pain free way- and I could've kissed the "epidural guy" :) Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was induced at 38 weeks for blood pressue issues. I went in the night before and was given the Cervadyl. Overnight nothing happened. They started the pitocin at 7:30 the next morning anyway. By 1:30 I was 5 cm but was not feeling anything more than period cramps. By 3:30 I was 9 cm and they started me pushing. For me, the most painful part came after the pushing began, but it wasn't unbearable. My son was born by c-section at 7:57 pm because he became lodged face-up in the birth canal.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was induced at 40wks and 2days I was about 70% effaced and about 1 fingertip dilated. I was given pitocin at 7:15am, my water broke naturally a little before 8am, by 11am I was 4 cm, and by 6pm I was 7 cm. I got the epidural at 6pm (I was 7cm and shaking uncontrollably, I was really trying to have a natural birth). After I got the epidural I stalled and spiked a low grade fever (I blame the epi 100%) and then at 10:37pm my daughter was born via c-section.

Always remember everyone is different and handles pain differently. I personally lasted without pain meds to 7 cm. I do not think pitcon makes them harder/stronger at all. Best of luck.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 6:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The first time I was 38 weeks. We tried Cervadil and it made me have great contractions but no progress, so we added Pitocin. My labor was long, 41 hours total. I stalled out at 4 cm and was there until hour #36, when I got an epidural. It relaxed me and made my labor speed up. I delivered 5 hours later.
    The second time at 36 weeks. We went skipped the Cervadil and went straight for the Pitocin. Again I stalled out at 4 cm and after 35 hours, I got an epidural, which again relaxed me and made my labor speed up. I delivered an hour later, after 36 total hours of labor. My first labor wasn't very painful at all. My second labor was more painful, but certainly still bearable.
    Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• At 39 weeks they told me my son was 10lb 3oz and they wanted him out. I got hooked to pitocin at 8am dilated to a 3 and 75% effaced(note: i was contracting on my own the night before induction but they werent hard enough so they continued with the induction). They checked me at midnight cause my contractions were piling on top of eachother and they thought i was getting close to delivery and i had only moved to 4cm. (oh i was excited about that..not..). They turned off the pitocin at 2am and wanted me to rest. So i tried to and they cane back in at 8am and i had moved to They checked me at 10am and i was at a 6-7 (2 diff people got 2 diff numbers), they gave me an epidural and broke my water. At 3pm i was at a 7 and at 6pm i was an 8. I never moved from a n 8. At 945pm my sons heart rate droipped and he was stressed. They ordered a c section. There was a woman ahead of me. My son was born at 11:42pm.continued**
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It was a total of 37 hours before they said c section and turned of the pitocin and stopped my contractions with meds. He was born at 1142 pm. He was not 10lb 3oz. He was 8lb 8oz. They did all that inducing for nothing!! I will NEVER let a doc induce me short of a strong medical reason again..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010