When you see people next to the road w/ signs saying "will work for food" do you give them $?

I saw a lady that looked like a meth/crack addict whose sign said she had 4 kids- & anything helps. I dont believe most of them. I know there are agencies out there to help. (esp. if you have kids) And rather than wasting time begging for $, spend it looking for job! Heartless attitude? Maybe, but its also self preservation. I dont want to get jumped & robbed. I do have charities that I donate to on a regular basis.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont ever give out money. i'll give food though. but like you said, there are programs for people, especially those with children. and they should be looking for a job, not begging.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have given them blankets, old coats, etc before.... Especially when I lived in downtown and got to seeing the same ones daily.... My church in Ohio would print out business cards with information to a homeless shelter we sponsored. They would accpet collect calls during the winter time to pick people up... I'd usually hand those out..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I see a couple different individuals standing on the main road in our area. That road is host to every fast food place known to man. Those places are always hiring even in this economy. You're not going to make your first million working for Burger King, but it will get you a hot meal.

As other have said, I donate to the organizations who are set up to help people in that situation
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No I usually give them food
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Nope. I have done it in the past, but I'm never sure if the person is truly in need. I donate time/money/food to local charities instead.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, I give to organizations that help these people.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I give them food or an un opened drink. I carry a little box just for that.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Money, never. Food/drink, yes. Who knows what they'd spend the money on, probably not food!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Although yes there are some, contrary to popular belief many poor people are not addicts. Many suffer from mental and physical disabilities that make it difficult to find employment, and then even sometimes the wages that make are not nearly enough to make feed their family. Just FYI the current poverty level for a family of 4 is $21,000/year which is not even remotely close to being enough for an individual, nevermind a family and yes they do need help.

If a person has a sign that says will work for food, I will give them any food that I've got. I don't care what their problem is, if you're a drug addict or not.... no one desreves to starve.

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have, yes, and DH takes the cash when we go to Philly. (usually I keep cash from work) I'm a sucker for the Veteran signs and anything to do with kids.

I know better, but I feel bad if don't, and then I feel bad if I do, so at the end we give whatever we would have passed out to a charity for the homeless.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010