Self weaning?

What were some of the signs your baby was self weaning from nursing? How old were they?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little girl self-weaned between 10and 11 months. She gradually stopped pulling at my shirt when she got hungry, and toward the end would push my breast away and only be satisfied with a bottle of juice. I think it's much easier to wean this way! No engorgement, no screaming baby... it's very calm. I still miss is sometimes though, and she's almost 3!!!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My dd has started to shorten her before lunch nursing session and her before dinner nursing session to about 10 minutes each, normally it's a 20 minute minimum, and still is for the other nursings throughout the day. Is this typical for a baby that is almost 10 months old, or is it something that goes along with self-weaning?
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Weaning begins the moment anything besides your breast goes into your baby's mouth. It starts with the first bite of solids, or the first bottle of juice, formula, etc. True self weaning before 18 months is very rare. When a baby begins to have quicker nursing sessions, it is usually because they have become more efficent at the breast rather then weaning.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thank you :)
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son self-weaned at 13 1/2 months. His feedings just became shorter and less frequent until it was only down to nap time and bed time. For awhile nursing was the only thing that could get him to sleep but then he started nursing for literally like 2 minutes and sitting up a whining. So I just quit nursing him all together and now he falls asleep just laying down in about 2 seconds. LOL
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Oh and I agree that self-weaning is the best way to go. Save yourself a lot of head aches and engorgement!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• DD became more erratic in her overall nursing schedule (some days she nursed non stop, others maybe three times), then began to cut feedings, then only asked at nap time and bedtime, and most days when I got home, then one day I realized she hadn't asked for about a week- she was 20 months, and I was five months pregnant. Shorter sessions just mean baby is getting better at getting the milk out :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Rhianna, at some point she'll go to three minutes. And that too will be normal. No weaning here,.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• True self weaning doesn't occur before 18 months. It's typically been "encouraged" by too many solids, too much in bottles, too much pacifier use, sleep training, etc. Before 12 months it's not self-weaning, it's a nursing strike. But like others have said, weaning begins the moment solid food enters the picture. It can take months or years from that point. =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010