What do you do when your baby show signs of having a cold?

She doesn't have a fever yet, she just has nasal congestion. So far I've managed to clean out her nose with the little nose plunger and I incline her back so it won't get stuffy, but I'm not sure if I should take her to the doctor or give her medicine or not. Any advice? She's only almost 4 months old.

My oldest daughter never had a cold til she was over a year old, so that's why I'm asking with my second.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 4:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No medications are recommended at this point except for tylenol if she has a fever. Other than that all you can do is use the aspirator on her nose, saline drops to help it drain, a cool mist humidifier while she sleeps, and vicks.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• just let it run its course... I never gave meds just for a cold... nor did I go to a dr for a cold.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• little babies are very tricky when it comes to trying to figure out if they should see doc or not....if she were mine and i felt the symptoms had gone on long enough , even without fever , i would call the ol' nurse and start asking some questions....i would not start giving any over the counter meds at this point...could just b a virus , in which case as you now , will have to run its coarse..your doing just what i would do...suck her nose alot and elevate her head , even if she has to sleep in the swing a night or 2....good luck
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thank you ladies.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• put a humidifier in her room. do you use saline? they sell "little noses" saline.. also, if there is no fever, i wouldnt be overly concerned. doctors dont do anything for "colds" because antibiotics only treat bacteria, not viruses which is what causes colds.. just keep her well hydrated, use the saline, and keep her away from sicki people! :)
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 6:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010