Should I be worried about my 2 1/4 year old grandson who doesn't pay attention to anyone who greets him or tries to talk with him when we're outside. His hearing is fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm confused...so, he will acknowledge you and talk to you when you are inside? But if you are outside he won't?
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's normal. Children don't often acknowledge people. Whether they're shy or they're just not sure what to do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Nah. You know his hearing is fine...it's just selective. My son was like that too. He still is sometimes.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It depends. If he won't talk to any strangers it can be Selective Mutism. My DD has it. Took us many years to get her to socialize with anyone outside of the family. If your in doubt, ask your doctor.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• ignoring is my DS's fav hobby,,,lol
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• well, does your grandchild speak to family members? If your grandchild just chooses not to acknoladge strangers. its probably just being shy. Also, if there is alot going on around him, he may have sensory issues, becoming "overstimulated." I would not be overly concerned though, many children at that age just prefer not to talk to strangers
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 6:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He could just be shy. Sometimes my son is fairly outgoing and talks to people, but he often clings to me and won't look at the other people, especially if he's a little tired, cranky or we're in a new place. I usually just tell people he's 'slow to warm up' so they just let him observe and jump IF and WHEN he's ready. I sometimes use the word shy, but I felt like I was labeled shy as a child and had a hard time getting away from it even as I got older. I like 'slow to warm' better myself. I think my son goes through periods of separation anxiety at times too, so he'll wake up at night or be extra clingy with me for a while, and then he'll suddenly seem more independent again. If there are other concerns as well as not talking to strangers, it's good to ask his Dr about it, of course.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• should be jump *in*
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010