Is swearing really so offensive to some that it has to be flagged with the little exclamation point?

If you clicked open a question/journal post and it had some cuss words in it, would you be really offended? I mean... we're all adults, here, why is the exclamation point mandatory?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I don't see the point in swearing just for swearing's sake.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's just a common courtesy. Some people don't like to use or read swear words.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Ok, why is it that the "mature" people are the ones who use foul language and the "immature" ones are the people who actually speak intelligently and without using such a low form of english?
    Yes, I am offended by curse words because I think they degrade everyone and everything. I don't use them, I don't let my children use them, and when people use them around me I will ask them not to in the future.
    Yes, it is "freedom of speech" but theres also such a thing as common decency and respect for others, yes even people you don't know! Just because I have the right to sit here and talk about something doesn't mean I should.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 5:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• because people sit with their kiddos on their laps while they read.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I know there is going to be cursing in this answers section. I don't like cursing at all. But am I offended... no. I don't open answers when my kids are around, lol.

If I open one up and it has more than a couple "curse words" then I move on to the next one. Honestly.... when it happens - to me it makes the person look unintelligent!!!!! So I move on!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 5:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• here's the thing: you have the choice to turn on/off the 'obscenity' filter, located on your answers profile. you can usually guess what the word is, but a new-reader may not, so its safer.
    some people think they are warning the reader that they may be offended by their words with the flag. its just a cautionary act, and appreciated.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i see no reason. if ur not mature enough to just kind of blow it off or click on another page, u shouldnt be on the internet ne way (imo)
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 5:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'm not offended, but some people are so uptight that they have to try and control what everyone else says. It's freedom of speech people.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• And actually, I think the ! is supposed to mean "to much information" not that it contains curse words. Its for posts that talk about sex and other things that some people really might not want to know. :)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 5:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'm not offended but I don't like it. I don't curse. I used to but since I stopped I find it annoying.
    "The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low, that every person of sense and character detests and despises it" ~ George Washington
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010