Has anyone else had to be away from their DH/SO for a long period of time??

Did you guys work it out??
How did you guys do it??
Any tips or advice to make this easier on both me and him??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• We've spent almost half of our 6 year marriage either in different states or different hemispheres. We've made it work for us and have grown stronger as a result. You just have to decide that you are going to commit to it and make it work.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• 1 year 16 days apart. Finishing school. We webcammed nightly, text chatted all day long, and we were on the computer instant messaging when we weren't in class/at work. We also sent each other little surprise 'care packages' of different things we knew one another liked. It was always a nice thing to look forward to. It can be done, if both of your hearts are into it =) It's never easy though, but you'll find a way to make it work =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not for marital issues, no.

A few years back, he worked in the oil field and a few times he had to be gone for anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks at a time. He only did the job for about 6 months (if that long). Sorry, I don't have any advice.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• A month after we were married he was shipped off to Iraq for a year. It was rough, but we made it through somehow. We had no children, none on the way, so we managed to focus on eachother whenever we got in touch. I managed to keep myself occupied by working and being with friends and he was just busy alot of the time, but writing to eachother helped a lot.

He also joined the coast guard and was away a couple months after our daughter was born. That was probably harder than Iraq. I mean with Iraq it drove me nuts because I didn't know whether he was going to come back or not, but with the coast guard it seemed harder because I was in a different town and I was alone.

Just write letters, call as often as you can, if he can use internet, try talking to him on web cam. Anything helps as long as you make the effort.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• my husband job had him away for about four months at a time. we didi okay after a week of him being back and getting on my nerves i was ready for him to leave lol on the serious note if both willing tomake it work it will work
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• before we got married the first 6 yrs of our relationship we lived in different states. we wrote letters, called and emailed. also we visited each other
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 6:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010