Just makes me feel like a crappy lazy person ....

I babysit 2 little boys for my cousin & his wife. I like to watch them most of the time ( sometimes it is just hard to have 4 kids under 4 y/o in a little house all day) ... I am only suppose to have them 3 days a week but she always calls and I have to watch them extra days... or will call when she is suppose to pick them up because she needs me to watch them longer... Sometimes i just have to say NO because I already have plans or something and I feel bad because she makes Facebook posts about how she needs a babysitter... or NOW they are complaining ( to everyone else) that the last 2 times they boys got home they peed through their pants. But I have to use my sons diapers because they only send 2 dipaers ( for 8 hours) and it takes them 30 mintues to get home... I feel like I am giving them a big discount and working hard they should be complaing especially to others !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Tell them to give you more diapers, and if they don't stop complaining on FB, they can find a different sitter!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• They shouldn't be putting it all out there on FB for sure!!!!!!!!!!! Could you ask for 3 diapers or is that out of the question for some abserd reason?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i kno what u mean. sometimes it hard to watch kids for someone ur close too bc they either run u over or complain bc they dont think ur standards are high enough. i would suggest (speaking from personal experience) to take some time off. they will appreciate u much more or they will move on. good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 5:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Honestly, it sounds like they ARE taking advantage of you somewhat.... Maybe it's time to put some stuff in writing, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable, since they're family and all... The hours, how much you're getting paid, and that you need a certain amount of notice if they're going to be late, or need you to watch the kids more. Also, tell them they need to bring you a case of diapers, so you don't run out. There's absolutely NO reason you should have to use your son's diapers on their kids!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• WOW- That is really Disrespectful of them to talk about this on FB! i would not be Happy- i would just let them know that you are doing the Best you can & if they are having such a Problem with you watching them; then it would be better to find someone else- i would also tell them they need to bring them prepared for the day- Two Diapers for 8 Hours isn't going to cut it!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Sounds like both parties have a lot to talk about. Its probably time for a sit-down, adult conversation. If they are putting blurbs out on FB, it sounds like an immature way to get your attention. If I were you, I would call them and ask them to meet you for lunch or something. Give them a heads up that you'd like to discuss some things that would be helpful to you while you care for their children, so they don't feel attacked or caught off-guard. I would be honest and forthcoming during the convo. Make a list so you're sure you didn't forget anything. I might start by saying, "I noticed your FB comment the other day, and it seems as though you might be a bit upset with me. I just wanted to get some feedback from you so that I can be sure that your comfortable with our arrangement. I'd also like to apologize for the kiddos being in a heavy diaper at the end of the day. Truth is, I've been having to use my DS's diaper
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• diapers at times, and its really difficult for me to have that added expense. I would love to just buy a pack of emergency diapers for the children, if I could just give you the receipt for reimbursement. I'd really appreciate the extra diapers so that the kids are dry at the end of the day. I just want to be sure that you guys know that you can always come to me if you have any concerns. I want an open line of communication so that your feel like your children are getting the best care."
    Maybe something like that. Sorry, I'm kind of a talker. That last line should be enough to end the FB comments. GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think having a sit down adult talk would benefit everyone. Everyone could have a discussion about concerns in a mature way and find solutions together. Hopefully it would go well. Putting it in the back burner would only make things worse and who suffers most...? The little ones, I think. I think the parents should be more responsible and you may want to address how their actions and mistreatment affect you. So it may be best to resolve all this or peace part. Good luck.
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 1:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010