I think I caused a problem...

I watch a little boy ( plus my kids) everyday and usually he is good and it isnt a problem to watch him ... but he needs alot of extra care ( he has mental problems) ....

Well I planned on deep cleaning my house ( shampooing my carpets) and then just relaxing the rest of the day because my kids were going to be with their dad...

I have only "called off" like twice before and she is the type of person who makes a big deal out of everything and wants to know exactly why I cant watch him and tries to talk me into still watching him....

So I lied. I told her I had a Dr. appt and wouldnt beable to watch him today ( I told her over the weekend) and that I just couldnt get out of it.

My aunt who is friends with this woman asked my mom why I went ( my momt old her I lied so I could take the day for myself ) ... of course my aunt then told the woman and I dont know what to say to her & keep my job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• i would just be honest. and tell her everytime u tell her the truth she doesnt respect ur need to take care of ur family/house/self by guilt-tripping u into taking care of him. its not like ur not giving her enough notice to find a secondary care option. then if she gets mad, ask her "would u rather i not take care of these things that could effect/affect the way i take care of ur son?"
    i kno it sounds harsh, but its better that continuing to lie
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 5:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You shouldn't have lied, but since you did the very best thing you can do is admit it and apologize. Do not make excuses unless she asks for one. Personally I have a thing about people who apologizeand then try and explain and excuse it away.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• you could just come clean with her. tell her you are the kind of person who doesn't know how to say 'no', and you really, really needed to get your carpets cleaned. just apologize for lying to her. and leave it at that. if she still wants to use you for babysitting, then its all good. if not, at least your conscience is clear.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• at this point you HAVE To be honest.. thoroughly apologize and let her know why you felt you had to lie.. maybe you could come up with something for YOU Time
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Lying is rarely a good idea. If she needs you to babysit because she works, she's counting on you, and she is your employer. She has to give her boss a reason why she can't come in, and I'm sure she expects a good reason from you...especially since she either has to have back-up child care available, or take time off from her job.

A doctor's appointment would actually have been a good reason, an afternoon to yourself that causes her to have to scramble to find childcare or take time off of work, wouldn't have been a good reason to her. That's why a lot of people choose to use daycare center's they don't have to worry about reliability.

Just be honest, apologize, and hope she's willing to accept that. Don't be surprised if she starts looking for more reliable childcare. I probably would.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Does she pay you for watching him? Then honestly, you shouldn't have lied in the first place. It would really piss me off if my daycare did something like that. I'm assuming you were watching him while she had to work, which means she had to call in if she couldn't get back up care. At my job, we can only have so many days off unscheduled before we start getting written up for missing work.
    However, if you were watching him for free, who cares? She's taking advantage.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, you can be honest and explain your feelings. Be honest and explain things to this mom.
    If you can continue watching this boy, that will be a decision for the parents.
    As for the child you were watching, (if you can't continue watching him) while I'm sure he was a cool kid, maybe this will work out for the best and you can provide care for another child who's mother is more easy to get along with.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 5:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well I would of just been honest with her to begin with.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Lies always com back to bite don't they? just be honest this time.....

Answer by older at 7:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• be honest...the truth can hurt sometimes but you're better off telling the truth!
    LisaLand33

Answer by LisaLand33 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010