My 2 children keep kicking their door?

Does anyone know of a way to get them to stop doing this? They keep doing it until they fall asleep and they have been waking up in the middle of the night almost everyday doing it. Any ideas?

tashi02

Asked by tashi02 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The most obvious consequence for that is to remove it for a day or two.
    BoomerGparent

Answer by BoomerGparent at 5:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would do that but we live in a two story house and all of the rooms are upstairs.
    tashi02

Comment by tashi02 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Remove the door and put a gate up in its place.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• They push down the baby gates that I put up my older daughter is very strong as well as my younger one. I had to put a lock on their door and since we are renting and I am living with my mom right now she wont allow me to do any modifications on the doors. I have tried stacking two baby gates on top of each other but all they do is push them down and they get out of their room.
    tashi02

Comment by tashi02 (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Explain to them why it is not okay to kick their door (noise, damage, etc.) and set a consequence (no tv the next day, for example) for if they do it. Also, explain why they have a door, what it is for and that all houses and bedrooms have doors. You will need to repeat your explanation a *lot* but they will understand. Ask them why they are doing it and what they think about the door, and encourage them to think and ask questions.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 6:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010