How does whitening toothpaste work? DH says it'll ruin my teeth by sanding down the dental enamel.

Any idea how the whitening works? Is it really mechanical or is it chemical? Is it safe? Do I use it for a while or all the time? I've never done it before.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• My mom is 89, and has fabulous teeth. She has used nothing but a 50/50 baking soda and salt mixture her whole life. I didn't like the salt part so I use Arm & Hammer toothpaste, which has baking soda in it. That's supposed to be a great natural whitener.
    BoomerGparent

Answer by BoomerGparent at 5:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's chemical, not mechanical.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 5:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Depends on how it whitens. Some are abrasive, some are chemical bleaches. Before you whiten, talk to your dentist to make sure your teeth can handle it. Both can damage your teeth or previous dental work if overdone or done incorrectly.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i think the peroxide works chemically, but the silica is an abrasive.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, it does. In fact my husband was beginning to get teeth sensitivity because we used whitenting toothpaste all the time and he is pretty young (still in his 20's). Now we use an enamel shield type toothpaste and he is a lot less sensitive.
    Nerdangl

Answer by Nerdangl at 7:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2010