DO ANY BODY KNOW ABOUT FOOD ALLERGIES

MY SON IS 2yrs AND I JUST FOUND OUT THAT HE HAS AN EGG AND MILK ALLERGY BEFORE I FOUND OUT ABOUT HIS ALLERGY HE WAS DRINKING PEDISURE AND NOW THAT HE HAS THE ALLERGY HE CAN'T DRINK THAT ANY MORE NOW THEY WANT HIM TO START TO DRINK A SOY BASED DRINK CALLED (BRIGHT BEGINNINGS ) AND AT THIS POINT I CAN NOT FIND A MARKET THAT HAS IT DO ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THIS PRODUCT.

shareka27

Asked by shareka27 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly, if i were you i would look into things further. personally, our family drinks no milk and no milk substitutes. we get good fats from fish, nuts, avocados, olive oil and coconut oil. i cook with flax seeds too. we get vitamin d from the sun and we get calcium from green veggies.
    there are questions around wide use of soy that you will need to look into. most soy is genetically modified which may or may not be a concern of yours. some say soy can mimic estrogen (i think) and this may or may not be a concern of yours.
    please know that many vaccines contain egg.
    good luck to you!
    almond milk is another alternative, but still read your ingredients and weigh weather or not that is worth your time and money too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree about not giving soy to a boy...IF he must have 'milk' I would go with amond milk as well.

Since you can only be allergic to a protein that helps narrow down possible allergies. There could also be a light, underlying allergy that has not reached the threshhold for creating symptoms. Sometimes there are 3 light allergies but don't score high enough on the tests.

Egg and dairy are tough because that cuts out cheese and everything made with egg...poor baby. Some breads/pastas are made with eggs. This is a good time to get him accustomed to vegetables. You are really going to have to read labels on everything and learn all the code words on labels for 'egg'.

There are also PLASTICS that can have a protein in them. I am allergic to lettuce which has one protein and I cannot tolerate cilantro, parsely or fresh basil. The dried seems to be ok. Weird huh? I found those by using a Little Black Book-Daily Food Diary.
    fooddiaryuser

Answer by fooddiaryuser at 6:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with the other Mommas about soy...my DS was put on soy and I kept reading about it and it started making me nervous...So I give him coconut and Almond milks because he LOVES his milk..is it a flat out dairy allergy or just lactose? That can make a difference. My poor nephew is allergic to dairy, eggs, soy and trea nuts! He can't even have it baked in breads or muffins..it's insane..this said i have some good ideas for you...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED TO MY MESSAGE I WILL LOOK INTO THE ALMOND MILK
    shareka27

Comment by shareka27 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I do agree that giving soy isn't a great idea. Also if he is allergic to milk chances are he is too soy too. My son has a milk protein allergy and he was still having issues so we cut out soy and it got better. My son too was on Bright Beginnings though.

If you want to find it, I found it at Fry's (or Kroger's in other areas of the US). You can find it online too. Is there a reason he was drinking pediasure before though?
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010