Community Service for 13 and 14 yr olds

Has anybody had to experience this with their kids? If so what did they do? Any ideas would be great.....thanks. The boys have to do it for school credits.

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 6:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• well, I have my kids do volunteer work at the local festival, they direct parking and sell water and tickets. they also help out at the Humane society. they have also done yard work for some of the elderly in the community and planted flowers at the library.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 6:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not sure about that age, but I do know that some rural fire departments allow people to do their community service there. Washing, waxing and cleaning out trucks and such. That would be something worth looking into.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My children all volunteer at church - they teach or help serve etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I did volunteer work when I was that age (not too long ago). I worked at the salvation army meal program in town, the umane society, did bell ringing for the salvation army. It was a great experience.
    tennis4lissa

Answer by tennis4lissa at 6:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son did volunteer work at our public library, and at the local historical society. Sometimes the museums have great opportunities for kids as well.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Local musuem or library or animal shelter can always use help
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree..fire dept. can use help with washing fire trucks and the boys would probably like doing it...we have habitat for humanity here and they always need help with lots of different age appropriate things.....they can read at the local library...
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• A great way is to tutor a child in a younger grade in math for example. My neighbor's daughter met her tutor at the library for one hour a week for how ever many hours he needed. Her mom had to provide the tutor with a signed note confirming he performed the service for X amount of hours. Its a WIN/WIN!
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 10:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son has to do 15 hours a year to graduate in 4 years. He has helped out at the Alzheimers day care I intern at. He exercised with them. played ring toss, talked and danced with them. They LOVED having a young one with them. Check different nursing homes or adult daycares, you may have to be there with them, but you will see how much they get out of it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• when i was i teen i had to do that at first i hated the idea of wasting my time and would rather hang out with friends but eventualy i enjoyed it i ended up continueing with it i volenteered and my loca ems at 14 and through them was first aid and cpr certified after like a year they paid for my classes to become a EMT once i was board with that i opened the door for me then i took a lifegurd class and eventually became an instructor!! It felt great coming home every two weeks with $500 to $600 at 16 years old and all my friends were only getting 5 bucks an hour!!!!! It can be a great oppertunity and as an adult i was working as a vet tech and kids would volenteer for school but they were only allowed to clean cages :( If they pick the right thing it will make all the difference!!!!
    MichelleBabyBoy

Answer by MichelleBabyBoy at 12:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2010