Stomach Flu ...what is the incubation period and how long are you contagious?

Ok, my 4 year old dd woke up from her nap on Saturday throwing up. She just had your basic 24hr stomach flu but now I am not sure when I can safely say my 2year old ds didn't catch it from her. He seems good today, eating fine and not fussy. How long is she contagiouse for and how long does the virus live on things?

I know there is nothing I can do at this point, I am mostly just curious as I am sure this isn't the last time we will have the stomach flu at our house

spiritedmama

Asked by spiritedmama at 6:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It depends on the type of organism caused it. Different inc times for different bactieras and viruses. Could be 48 hours, could be a week. Or.... since it only lasted 24 hours, it could be food poisoning, in which case it would only effect her.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'd certainly love to know the answer to this question....I'm just getting over the stomach flu and my kids (2 and 3) are acting fine. Missing two days from work to take care of me was tough enough, I certainly don't want to miss more if they catch it o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i would assume that most things are contageous for up to 4 days... i would think that most kiddos would either have it or be fine within 2... but i'm not sure, since it all depends on what caused it...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I hope they are all feeling better now!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Once the symptoms hit, you have already been expoosed. once the symptoms disappear, she is no longer contageous.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010