What do you do when your kids don't listen?

Usually when I had enough I get the belt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• We're real old school around here and say "I'll go get your Dad!!" or Hubs says "Do I need to tell your mother about this?" they usually fall for it and stop the offending behavior.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 6:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My hair turns more and more gray every time this happens.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I usually had to change my strategy but no violence involved since the goal is to teach kids the right way to act. For example, if you yell to much, they will not listen. I only reserved the yelling for extreme situations.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• yell when they don't listen. I've told my 6 yr. old no wii or I tell him do it or sit down. When I have to tell them more than three times it drives me crazy.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 8:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Actually, I do the opposite...I get really quiet and ignore them, along with "the look." My 8 year old knows mommy is ticked off, and usually seeks out approval and my acceptance of his apology.

I also just start cleaning up their things and take them away--without saying anything. I find the more I yell, the less they listen. They DO, however, notice when their favorite toys "disappear!" :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I also use to yell a lot but realized that didn't do me any good, then I started asking them to repeat what I said, and now we negotiate choirs - but if they don't respond I still do ask them to repeat me.

Yesterday is a good example : I asked my son (he's 12) to take out the trash, I asked three times and asked him to tell me what I said. He said he didn't hear me, so I said well if you don't go take the trash out - I'm turning off the computer for the rest of the day...Did you hear me now? He sure did and got up and took the trash out.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Time out works great for my kids i also take away their toys until they can behave.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It depends on what they aren't listening about. If they won't pick up their things, I take them and we pick them up hand over hand. If they won't turn the tv down I cut it off and take the remote. If they keep fighting I separate them. If act up while we are out we leave, no matter what we're doing, no matter what it cost to get in lol. I've only had to leave once though, after that they know I mean it! And with general not listening (making too much noise, making messes or general rule breaking) they lose privileges (my eldest loses his choice of route travel and my 3 year old loses Woody and Buzz for a period of time).
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• FOR INTENTIONAL DISOBEDIANCE- 3 SWATS ON FANNY.

For accidental disobediance- I re-tell them and say you ARE now going to do it. I make them do it.. and then they sit in a chair for 10 mins to improve their HEARING..
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 6:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• the belt...hmm no wonder you posted ANNON
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010