circumcision

my 2mo DS had a circumcision at birth. since then he has had to have what i'm guessing is foreskin pulled away from the base of the head of his penis twice. it was red and swollen looking but never painful to him. when sge pulls the skin away it his unhealed underneath. his doc says this is normal but i wanna kno how it can be. she won't explain nething to me. did the doc that did the procedure do something wrong? i dont want his penis to be wierd looking. she told me to stretch it down at every diaper change....any experience with this other mommies w/ boys?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 6:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take him to a new doctor if you can. I plan on having any future son of mine circumcised and from what I have read I didn't think it took 2 months plus with no signs of healing??? yeah... you should be seeing results by now.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• But, I am not a doctor nor have any medical training... it's just my point of view.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• hmm i will have to look into that if thats the case i'm suing
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• While I'm against circumcision in general, one of my best friends had her son circumcised, and it did NOT take that long to heal... I'd suggest you see a different doctor too, because it definitely doesn't sound normal to me...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I thought circumcision was suppose to solve all of the male anatomy problems. hmmmm.

Real answer here: they removed less skin than normal leaving a small foreskin, it adheres back to the penis b/c it is an open would healing.....

Its ok that they left a little more skin than normal, but getting it to heal the the tricky part. If you allow it to attach and then pull it back you are tearing it open everytime, like ripping the scab off of a cut....open to infection...

You probably do need to pull it back and keep it moist so that it does not adhere back to the penis. Not sure what you should use for that though, my first guess would be vaseline.
    Anonymous

• When my son was circ'd I had to pull the skin down and put vaseline on it at every diaper change. I didn't end up doing that and it got "stuck" and the dr had to pull the skin back at 6 mos that time I did what I was supposed to. Some drs do a "partial" circ so, it is not so tight as the boy is growing but, it doesn't look "weird" and it is not something you can sue about because it is not "life altering." Just be sure you pull the skin back at every diaper change and put vaseline on it so it can heal. It'll be ok and he will look "normal."
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• my youngest son was circumcised and it took two weeks to the day, his umbilical cord fell off the day after his plastibell came off ( i think that's what the Dr said it was called, it basically cut off the circulation to the foreskin )

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 7:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• plastibell came off

This is just one way of doing a cir'c Drs' use other methods as well.

Amazes me that mothers will allow a Dr to preform a cosmetic surgery on their infant and they dont even know for sure what it is called. When someone does something to my child I want to know all I can about it. I am my childs advocate and voice.
    Anonymous

• i am THE MOST anti circ person you'll ever come across. IF anyone wants to know why, ask me and I'll talk to you. I won't judge either way, I just know what's right for my family and willing to share what i know.

That being said.. PLEASE see another doctor. This is your son's penis we are talking about, see two or three more doctors if you have to. It needs to be taken care of properly and from what you are saying, that isn't being done right now.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son has a circumcision with extra skin as well, but they don't really tell you to continue pulling it back and putting vaseline on it or why the extra skin is there. Our son's started to reattach as well a few months later too. Some argue that you don't have to pull it back and put vaseline on it, that it will correct itself within a few years, but I didn't want to take any chances. We started doing the vaseline again--not every diaper change or anything just once a day or a few times a week at least--and we haven't had any problems with it reattaching since. The reason they leave extra skin now is because without it they may have very painful erections later. They used to take too much skin off. I think they should go over some of this stuff better in the hospital, because our after care instructions didn't really talk about anything after the first week or two.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010