• In the Spotlight:

Do i put my baby in his brace or not?

My son has a condition called Idiopathic infantile scoliosis. The brace straightens his curve from a 45 degree to a 14 degree, but his oxygen levels drop to 90-92 when he is in the brace. He also seems to always get pneumonia every time he wears it. The question is which is the lesser of the two evils. If we don't stop or slow down the progression of his curve he will have to have repeated surgeries until he gets done growing at about age 20 or 21. He is now only 14 months old, so the surgeries will have to be done about every 3-4 months due to him growing so much right now. The surgery itself can cause complications and even death from the complications. These complications are more common in young children. So now that I have told you all of this, tell me what you would do if it were your child.

Eeyore9

Asked by Eeyore9 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd use the brace and watch his breathing very carefully.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't believe my pediatricians opinions, I would ask to be refered to a specialist and follow their recommendations.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• 90% is still not too bad... I assume you are monitoring via a pulse ox? I would use the brace.. Has the Dr. prescribed supplemental Oxygen or a breathing treatment? You might want to inquire, but 90% is still okay...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I'd use the brace and seek a second opinion, if you already haven't. If this is the only way, I'd use the brace and take extra precautions.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i would seek out one or even two specialists ... find out the pros and cons of both options and make a final decision (i am sure switching back and forth isnt the best solution)
    ulitmately you need to settle on ONE decision ... otherwise you could put his recovery out longer because of procrastination
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Couple questions: Did they tell you how long he should wear it every day? Have you consulted a respiratory therapist regarding how to handle lung issues? I imagine you have been involved with alot of specialists, could you share a bit of what they told you to do?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I am concerned about why his oxygen level is dropping, is he not able to expand his lungs? Is the brace possibly to dramatic of a stretch?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• If it were my child I know I would use the brace *because I know what it is like to have to go throuh surgeries I have 18 total. from the age of 4 or 6months old! to the c-section of my dd! I would make sure I kept a close eye on my child, but until they could tell me more or I could see a specialist I would make sure he/she had on the brace! To cut down on the chance of putting my child through countless surgeries!!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Have your child wear the brace and seek out a second opinion if you aren't sure. Pulse ox of 90-92 is okay just find out from the Dr why it is dropping. Do an office visit demonstration so the Dr can see what you mean. Maybe the brace is comprimising his breathing or maybe its just requiring him to work harder while his back and abdomen get use to the altered position. Talk to the Dr before you change anything or stop doing anything. Thats always the Best practice.
    Galadriel1976

Answer by Galadriel1976 at 6:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• 90-92 is good, a baby is to be at 93. It drops probably due to the brace being tight, compressing the lungs, making it a little more work to breathe. Not really a big deal. My daughter always dropped when they put her on her tummy, an they told me that is was from the extra pressure, an dropping to 90-92 wouldn't hurt her.
    If your worried about it ask about maybe putting him on a little bit of oxygen while wearing the brace. It sounds to me that wearing the brace is better than not.
    Good Luck
    pudinangel

Answer by pudinangel at 7:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2008