Why is it so easy to get your hands on a gun?

Im watching Oprah, and thi man went from state to state buying guns with cash and no ID.. how is it that easy?! Why would we give some stranger a gun? And ppl wonder how murderes get away and kids shoot up high schools, they have the oppurtunity!!!

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 6:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry, while I agree it is TOO easy in some places, I will NEVER support any law that restricts law abiding citizens from owning and purchasing guns. I agree with the background checks, ID requirements and a short waiting period. Who ever is selling those guns to this person is breaking the law.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It isn't that easy, and those shops should be SHUT down for not doing the proper paper work that comes a long with buying a gun. In some states you even have to appear in front of a judge before you can buy. Like in NY we wanted to buy a pistol before my husband deployed b/c I was goign to be home alone...they told us we had to go to court and we couldnt wait that long, so we ended up buying a rifle and they did all sorts of paper work on my husband, made copies of his ID etc etc. We have bought our last 2 guns in california and same thing, we had to sign papers, fill out documents, take a test (writen) copies of ID, etc etc...just because some croked back hand shop is doing this doesnt mean ALL shops are doing this.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with you as well. I think law abiding citizens should be allowed and should always be allowed to purchase a gun, i just think that these ppl who are selling guns to ppl with out following the law is just wrong. Just because they know if the person doesnt have ID or cant pass the background checks they wont make the sale so they do without it.
    mommyofAurora

Comment by mommyofAurora (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• – collapse
    It really is too easy to get a gun and I am still wondering WHY anyone needs a gun?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• – collapse
    I'm all in favor of the strictests gun laws they can come up with, but I would also like them to actually follow up on laws already in effect... It IS too easy to get a gun nowadays, and that's a scary thing.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Yes i know that just because some are doesnt mean all are, i used to work at a pawn shop and we followed all the rules, but the thing is that some arnt following it. And they should, or else get out of the buisness because they are jepordizing the safty of our country.
    mommyofAurora

Comment by mommyofAurora (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• How about instead of trying to make it harder for people to get guns, we just arm EVERYONE? Because all you do when you make laws about restricting gun purchases is make law-abiding people not have them... the people who are willing to break the law are still going to have them, and that means that the violent criminals will have the upper hand. But if there is a 95% chance that the house you're about to rob has guns in it, and people who know how to use them, you are gonna be less likely to rob that house, yes?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Kerp for different reasons..none of which are your business really..

There are already thousands of laws on the books..statistaclly the strcter the gun laws the higher the crime rate.criminals will alwas get them..so I am soo NOT in favor of disarming good citizens leaving them at the mercy of the criminals WITH guns..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Kerp-because my husband is in the army, his job is to *kill* people he has to practice, and they dont let you take your work guns home. It is a hobby of his, and he enjoys it...he is responsible and wouldn't ever harm someone who wasn't first threatening his life. plus being home alone for a year is kind of scary, self defense if someone dare break into my house.

the people who are illegaly selling guns need to be shut down but the police need to actually ENFORCE the laws...the police i guess feel that they have more important things to worry their time with so they dont go around enforcing the laws. Sad and scary, but i also cary pepper spray on me as well because reality is, you're never safe.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You can buy black market guns off the street all day long. The strictest of gun laws will not stop that. Why take them from the legal owners?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010