How do I fix my relationship with my 3 year old?

It seems like nothing works, and I'm really at the end of my rope...

My name is Amanda, I'm 25 and I'm in the middle of a divorce. My daughter, who is 3 (as of August), and I moved to MI, which is 15 hours away from her father. She talks to him everyday, and until next year were taking turns with her, every 3 months. Its not the best situation, but it is what it is for now. Anyway, Hannah, my 3 year old has little no to respect for me. She will ignore me when I tell her to do something or she'll say no, or I don't want to. Spanking doesn't work, yelling doesn't work, talking nicely, eye to eye doesn't work. Taking her toys away doesn't work, time out doesn't work, taking tv away also doesn't work. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. I've been a stay at home mom for her entire life, and now I feel like I don't even want to be around her. Shes constantly making messes, and yes, all toddlers do, but she's extra good at i

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So sorry about your divorce. What about some type of mommy and me class? like swimming or gymastics? (sorry bad speller) spend some good quality time with her! it will be ok-she's adjusting to the divorce too I would imagine.

Maybe try joining a play group too-so she can build some friendships
    sophiasmom37

Answer by sophiasmom37 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Those are great ideas! THANK YOU! I'm excited to try those ideas! I hope it works, I'm really losing my mind.
    hmhmom

Answer by hmhmom at 7:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• well you have got to some how let her know whos boss If she dosent mind you take her by the hand and make her do it and dont let down until she has done it. I dont know If youve tried putting her nose in the corner but that always worked with my nice and nephew. just stik her nose in the corner for three min ( according to her age) and then let her out and talk about what she did to get put in the conrner just stick your ground dont let up it may take hours but you have to let her know that your boss.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• spending time with her is a good ideah too.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i dont have an answer to your question but i can tell you the feeling of not wanting to be around you child is common, so dont feel guilty. just hang in there and that will pass. as far as advice for your situation goes i'm sorry but i cant help other than to say if you want to talk im here to listen. Good luck!
    LisaLand33

Answer by LisaLand33 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would suggest thnking about her behavoir in terms of needs. What does she need? With your family situation I think it is fair to say she is probably having some unmet needs. Also, she is so young that she may not know how to express those needs or even really be conscious of what they are. Does she need to feel secure? Does she need to feel loved? Does she need to be sure that the people who love her will always be there for her?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010