Is my 7 1/2 yr old daughter too old for this?

She brought a beanie baby stuffed monkey to Brownies tonight and was pretending it was real for a little while until she got into an activity with the other girls. She does like to pretend her stuffed animals are real animals, and has told me her (Toy Story 3) Jessie doll 'comes to life' when she is not in the room (like in the movie). Is this normal? Is she too old for this? Shes my only child,I grew up way too fast and am not sure about whats age appropriate and what isnt. Please help! Thanks! Michelle

Michelle579

Asked by Michelle579 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Proven fact: Kids with good imaginations have higher IQ's. :)
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 8:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Let her keep her imagination as long as possible... we dont want them growing up too fast.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Teacher here: pretend play is a sign of high intelligence...and heck, its fun too :)

Dont try to sway her away from this, kids grow up way to fast these days and a little pretend play only makes her imagination and creativity grow :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't know that she's "too old" yet, but I would think she is getting there! If she were 9 or 10 I would say she's a bit old, but at 7, no, not quite yet. Just let it go.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My DD is 6 and she has a very big imaginaion. She pretends all kinds of stuff. I think that it is normal and harmless.
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 8:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't know. As long as she knows it's just pretend I don't see the harm at this age. I say, be thankful she's into stuffed animals and not trying to grow up too soon.
    Anonymous

• I played pretend up until I was 11. She's just fine. Let her be a kid for as long as possible

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Considering the fact that kids these days are growing up way too fast, I think it's wonderful that your daughter is acting like a 7 year old should. Hell I played with dolls until I was 12.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Crap! If she's too old for it that means I am too!!
    I love playing pretend, I probably should have had more kids. It's going to get awkward when they grow out of it. lol
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Okay, its Michelle again-UPDATE! When I went back to pick her up from Brownies, I saw another girl brought a stuffed kitten. Apparently, the kitten and the monkey had it out and they were in a 'time out' while the girls were making tic tac toe boards.
    Thanks for all your answers everyone!! I really appreciate it!
    Michelle579

Comment by Michelle579 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010