How can I get skunk smell off my dog?

Already asked this in one of my groups, just looking for additional answers! We have already used tomato juice and a mix of peroxide, baking soda, and liquid soap. any other suggestions?

JJsMoMMy519

Asked by JJsMoMMy519 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pets

• I'm a pro at this one. My husbands lab went thru a stage of killing skunks when some new construction uprooted a bunch of them. Original blue Dawn and a box of baking soda. Wet the dog thoroughly with the hose. Liberally add dawn and soap up then sprinkle about half a cup at a time baking soda and work it in. Rinse well. In the winter it is harder to do it outside because of temps..but I would never do a skunk dog in my home. My son tried that once and the bathroom stunk for a month.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• orange juice!
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 8:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• how big is your dog? pour straight vinegar all over till fur wet , protect the eyes , leave it on for 5 mins then bathe .
    can you shave the fur down short?
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• She's medium size...I can't imagine shaving her fur short - she's a border collie mix, but I'll discuss with DH if nothing else seems to work! Thanks!
    JJsMoMMy519

Comment by JJsMoMMy519 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You have to use the peroxide mixture more then once and remember Skunk spray is a OIL and soaks into the skin so if the dog gets wet or if it;s a damp or humid day it will be more pronounced It takes a little time but it will fade.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Did you use Dawn liquid soap? It's the best one for this mixture.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I really don't think anything works. We had a number of dog get sprayed and nothing worked.We just had to put her outside till it wore off. good luck on finding something though
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2010