I'm having mixed feelings about buying a breastpump?

These are the question that I have
1. Not sure if it's going to be worth it in the long run?
2. I was told that if i was going to get one to spend over $100 on it?

army-wife-2006

Asked by army-wife-2006 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well if you plan on breastfeeding I would say that a breast pump is an absolute must! Trust me, you'll me begging for one when your milk comes in.
    the good pumps cost are a bit pricey, but you can also get a manual pump for cheaper, but a lot of people don't have good results using them.

IMO if you really want to nurse, then a breast pump is essential unless you are going to be with your baby 24/7.... which is really hard to do. Good luck!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We were able to rent one from a place called Once Upon a Child. You buy your own accessories to use with it. Have you looked into renting, or do you definitely want to buy one?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Medela is the only way I'd advise you to go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I had an Ameda Purely Yours and loved it. But I exclusively pumped...I agree with the first few replies...a pump is needed if yoru going to breast feed, especially if you work.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Now that I think about it, I don't think I explained myself well enough.

When your milk comes in, you are going to feel like your breasts are going to explode unless you release some.

Also, When you pump you can store your milk in the freezer or refrigerator in case you want to go out. You will not have to supplement with formula. Some people also like to have breast milk in hand so the can use it in public instead of nursing in public.

I used my breast pump to get my milk supply up, because the more milk is expressed... the more you will produce. So I would nurse and then pump.

if you have any questions feel free to pm me! :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Depends on what you want to use it for; if it's just for expression/relieving engorgement/occasional time away from baby, you could probably get away with a lower priced medela or ameda single manual or single electric. If it's for work, I highly recommend, from personal experience, a good double electric, medela is my favorite. The one I'm getting runs around 250-300 (medela pump in style), but I figure in the long run its more than worth it. If you are comfortable buying used, you can generally find barely-used or never-used pumps on ebay for pretty good prices, it's just that if it's a single-user pump there's no warranty to go with it when you get it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Oh, and one thing I learned the hard way- don't buy a pump made by a company that also does a lot more than just make breastfeeding supplies- I was given an even flo as a gift. The suction was a pain to adjust, and it had to be done every time, and it just couldn't hold up to the usage levels I had; motor burned out by eight months. It was under 100, but I ended up having to replace it with a double manual :/
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't get one if you're not planning to go back to work asap.
    If you need it later get it later.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I was glad to have mine. We kept pumped milk in the freezer, which was nice for the growth spurts when I hadn't caught up yet and for when I wasn't with him for a short time. I just used the Medela Harmony hand pump. I liked it better than the mechanical pumps I tried. I could use it when DS was nursing on the other side (a FABULOUS way to get lots of milk for storing). It's up to you. You don't have to get one right away, just see how it goes. and if you find yourself wishing you had one, then get one. From everyone I've talked to, Medela takes the cake on breast pumps.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2010