Respiratory question: Stridor, rales, wheezing, whistling....??

I saw the question and it brought this up. I forgot to ask my A and P teacher. What is the difference between those four? Stridor, rales, wheezing and whistling? Do they occur in different parts of the respiratory tract?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Health

• Yes... rales refers to a sound heard when listening via a stethascope. It course wet sound heard on inhalation. It is the passing of air thru secretions in the smaller bronchi. Stridor is a high pitched sound due to a laryngeal obstruction (inflammation), also heard on inhalation. Wheezing is also heard on inhalation, it is a whistling sound, which you do not need to hear via stethascope... Whistling is the same as wheezing.. .. There is also rhonci...which is a continuous dry rattling sound in the bronchus... It is much deeper than rales... Rales and wheezes can sometimes be cleared just be coughing or clearing the throat...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Thank you!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2008