Would you keep this dog?

I have a 3yr old female Australian Shepherd/Heeler/Border Collie mix. The other night (when the kids were supposed to be going to bed) I heard them giggling. So right when I about to enter their room I heard a yelp and my son crying. The lights were off, but they have a nightlight so it wasn't totally dark. I flipped on the light and my 5 yr old DS was holding his face. Their explanation was....they were playing a game to see if they could kiss Mariah before she could lick them. The dog was lying down and my DS was sitting behind her, when my DS leaned over her he put his elbow in her ribs, she yelped and turned and bit his face. One tooth hit his top lip and when 99% through (you could see it on the other side but it didn't go all the way through) a mark on his chin and the end of his tongue was bleeding. All healing fine, barely gonna be a scar. Would you consider her dangerous around children? We love her and want her2stay

Caoimhe_Oona

Asked by Caoimhe_Oona at 9:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pets

• No, rather I would consider the children to be a danger to the dog. It happens.
    Anonymous

• Yikes... I would either get rid of her or get a trainer or something. That seems very dangerous. Or teach your children not to play certain games with her like that.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 9:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No give the pooch another chance but if it happens again....then get rid of.
    TysonDeasia

Answer by TysonDeasia at 9:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No I would not. The dog reacted as any being would that is being hurt. I would seriously consider not leaving them alone with the dog. Children concieve of 'games' and dogs don't understand it's just a game.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Grr.. I meant No I would not get rid of her.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No that sounds like it was an accident, but it is still really scary! Instead I would start setting some ground rules with the kids and how to behave with the dog and now let the dog into their bedrooms or nonpublic areas until you feel like you can trust everyone together.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, I don't see this as the dog's fault. Whether it was on purpose or not your son hurt her. Also, dog bite each other on the nose to offer correction. She doesn't understand you can't do that to a boy, she was probably trying to correct your son for hurting her. I'm sure the children were just playing a game but trying to kiss the dog on the face before she can lick them sounds like a game that is bound to end badly.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It sounds to me like the dog was just being a dog. It doesn't sound like she was being aggressive, but the situation you describe would make me think that even the friendliest dog might nip. They were playing rough with her, in the dark and putting their faces close to hers. When your son hurt her with an elbow to the ribs, she only did what came naturally and even then didn't do nearly the damage she could have done.

I've taught my kids "dog manners". I have told them that if an animal is scarred, hurt or confused, the only way that dog has to share that information is to bite. I have also told my kids that if they generate a situation where it is likely that the dog will bite, the responsibility is on their shoulders, since they are smarter.

I would only get rid of a dog if they turned aggressive. It doesn't sound like yours really is.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• the dog was scared , there's no reason to punish her for protecting herself... if she did it just to do it it'd have been diff, but the kids admit it was their fault.

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 9:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would keep her seems to me she reacted to being startled and hurt.
    gratefulangel77

Answer by gratefulangel77 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010