As a Christian where do you stand when it comes to Halloween?

As a Christian how do you feel about Halloween parties? Do you allow you children to participate? Does your church have a harvest party? If yes do you attend and or participate in this typebof celebration? Halloween falls on a Sunday this yea are you extra hesitant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just because Halloween falls on a Sunday I am a little hesitant in what I will be doing and am very precautious as to going out after dark.
    MinnieMoni

Answer by MinnieMoni at 9:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Halloween is a pagan holiday. There are plenty of pagans on this website if you want some info on the roots of the holiday. It is no way, shape or form related to Christianity. My family never celebrated Halloween although I did try to do fun things in place of it like taking them on hay rides or other activities that were simply autumn related.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I let my kids dress up in non evil costumes and go trick-or-treating around my mom's neighborhood where 99% of the people are Christian (that way we avoid seeing alot of witches, vampires etc.). I want to take them to a Harvest party but they are little and usually ready for bed by the time the one by us begins (after trick-or-treating). We do not decorate for Halloween, we do not go to Halloween parties, or anything like that. I tell my kids that we simply take advantage of all the people who give out candy =) We celebrate Fall in October and November instead by going apple picking, making Fall crafts, and going to the pumpkin patch to get pie pumpkins!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My kids participate in the parties, the Zoo stuff, all of it. Our parish doesn't have a harvest party - we have a Halloween party. I'm not hesitant at all about celebrating on a Sunday. It's really no big deal.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• And "All Hallow's Eve" - the night prior to All Saint's Day does have quite a bit to do with Christianity.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't get the gore in Halloween esp. around children. But the catholic school my child attended always has a big bash for Halloween.
    Anonymous

• We go Trick or Treating,dress up in costumes,etc. Just like always.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• we dont celebrate. it's just another day for us. theres a halloween parade at my sons pre school, that day he and i will go to chuck e cheese and gymboree.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Why wouldn't I want to celebrate the eve of All Saints Day? Do we not celebrate Christmas Eve? What's the difference? Besides, my Irish heritage dictates I celebrate in certain ways, or my grandmother will get her panties all up in a bunch... seriously, she will. She takes Halloween very seriously. I mean really, what would All Hallow's Eve be without carving jack o' lanterns?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Protestant Christian here, and it's just another day here.
    We do go to the local corn maze, harvest festivals, and will do ToT with Ds, in limited amounts (he's only 2).

Our town has a childrens halloween parade (from what I hear, need to check into it), and we may go to that.
    We won't restrict costumes, aside from immodest or overly violent ones. Vampires and werewolves don't
    bother us.

Actually, the 'Harvest Festivals' held at churches bother me more.
    They have costumes, decorate (albeit in Christian themed decor), and pass out candy.
    What's the difference??
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010