I am a single mom and would really like to know how to make enough money to support my child and myself.

juniperautumn

Asked by juniperautumn at 11:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• Nursing! RN's (don't go for anything less) make between 45k - 65k a year. If you go through the summer, you can finish in 1 1/2 years.

A lot of hospitals will contract with you after 1 year of school. They will allow you to work and will pay for the remainder of your schooling, if you agree to work for them after you graduate. They also have daycare right there at the hospital.

Also, most community colleges offer nursing programs and they are not terribly expensive, financial aid is usually available.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• What do you want to do, meaning what direction do you want to take. Knowing the economy and the uncertainty of our future, I became an IBO for 2 companies within the wellness industry, knowing that each product being functional, healthy, and consumable would be wanted by everyone - it has made a huge difference in our lives - you can visit my page and see if it is of interest to you - ask me questions, I Iove to share. What started me with each of these companies was the amazing compensation palns, the amazing support team, and simplicity and low out of pocket expense to start.

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 11:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• You could look for a job that pays you more, including benefits, or you might have to pick up an extra job on the side to make ends meet. It can be done. I know of one woman, I think she was a saint or something... She was working at Walmart during the day and working midnights at a residential treatment center. I asked her one time when she slept, she replied, "On weekends"! She also was raising two teenagers by herself. You just have to be determined...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am involved with a great team called The M.O.M Team. We are a group of mothers who work at home and make money while staying home. You can make a part time or full time income. There is no selling, stocking or inventory involved. Plus you get our own FREE web-site and training. Check out my web-site and request additional info: http://www.themomteam.com/jasonandjessica
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Get a one year certificate from a local community college for admin assistant. Most clerical positions only require experience (one year) and just a highschool education. You may try to become a CNA (certified nursing assistant) which takes a few weeks. (Warning- a CNA job is high burnout) A clerical job does have much higher longevity.
    Try to negotiate with your local SRS office for financial assistance.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I agree with Sharon -- nursing is a fantastic career for Moms. Sign on bonuses, flexible scheduling.. you can very easily work while the kids are in school once you get your degree and be home when they are. Picking up extra hours and shifts for more money is also very easy... and the job demand is only going to keep growing.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I think it's lousy people would put plugs here to promote their business. Just saying.
    I've been raising three kids for seven years alone. I agree with the moms talking about nursing. See if you can further your education slowly into a career. Doesn't have to be nursing, you need to think about long term goals. Sit down and write it down, where you want to be in different stages of your life and plan what it's gonna take to get there. You will have some trying moments. I do believe it can really be a blessing. You will learn independence and raise your child making your own decisions. It takes sacrifices, prayer, and hard work, you can do it.
    PS.. Careful of the home business type stuff where you pay monthly to get products and buy leads. Just starting out that can be expensive, some months other needs need to be met. It's great if you have a spouse working to support you or a partner, think long term.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 8:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• There are lots of ways to make money online. Some require investment, but I stay away from those. It's too hard to tell which ones are scams. I stick with the free ones and I've been able to average about $1500/month or more for the last 6 months. I listed and ranked the sites I use at http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I f you aren't comfortable being in total charge of your income, I would find something that you could have steady income, and start a home business part time.
    Only you know what your work ethic is like and if would want to be "in charge" of creating your own money. That is a personal decision. A very high percentage of the population works for someone else, because most like a steady pay check and are scared to be really "on their own".

My mom raised my brother and I and usually had to work 2 separate jobs. Later she started a home business that she was passionate about and was able to ditch one of the J. O. B.'s.

Even if you have to have the "steady paycheck" , seriously consider doing something on the side where you have no limits and you can get paid for what you are "worth"!
    HeatherColey

Answer by HeatherColey at 10:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• www.workathomeunited.com/BeAtHome
    We have many moms just like you who are making a 6 figure income and staying home with their kids!
    tafania

Answer by tafania at 3:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008