Anybody know of any good ways to tell the difference between braxton hicks contractions and real ones??

second baby and he is due in january.. ive been having these cramps but they go away... im guessing they are braxton hicks?? with my first, she was also due in january but was premature and i had her in november so i didnt really have a chance to notice the difference... HELP.

christina110

Asked by christina110 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Lay down on your left side for awhile and see if they decrease in strength or go away. If you are really concerned go into L&D and get checked b/c you can never be too sure.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• braxton hicks are usually speratic and real contractions are consistant. also BH doesnt get too bad, contractions will continue to get worse in pain
    LisaLand33

Answer by LisaLand33 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• What a lot of pregnant women don't realize too, is that some of the lower cramps can actually be a combination of BH contractions and lower gastric issues from everything being pushed around in there. BH contractions can be painful, but real ones are usually really intense and can take your breath away. It's also totally normal to have contractions throughout your pregnancy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My contraction felt liek the worse tummy ache ever! I was not able to relieve it no matter what I did. I thought if I used the bathroom it would help and when I would go nothing would come out. It got worse and nothing relieved it. Hope that helps
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• what type of pains do you have while menstruating? that is probably what early labor contractions are going to feel like. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010