15 month old wakes up 2-5 times a night no CIO please

Around 8:30 or 9pm I rock him to sleep, sometimes he won't lay down the first time I try. Anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours later he starts crying. I go into his room and find him standing up in the crib. As soon as I pick him up he goes back to sleep. We rock for a few minutes and I lay him back down. Repeat 1-4 times until 8-8:30am. Sometimes I'm so exhausted I fall asleep and we end up sleeping him the chair for a few hours though. He takes a nap at noon or 1pm for about 45 minutes if that matters. However I refuse to let him CIO so that suggestion will be ignored, no offense please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I'm going to suggest ti anyway please hear me out, he's doing this because he knows you'll pick him up he wants attention which you're giving him usually if you let them cry for 5-15 minutes they fall asleep, other then that he may be teething.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i agree with the pp. i let my son cry for about 20-30 minutes and then i'd go get him if he wasn't asleep by then. after a few days of this, he learned how to put himself to sleep. i did this at 5 1/2-6 months, and i've never had a problem since, not even midnight feedings. he's 19 months now btw. i have heard, though, some mothers swear by a book...i think it's called The Sleep Method...or something like that...i've never read it so i don't know if it works or not. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Have you tried a 'lovey'. When you rock him you might want to trying giving him a blankie to hold on to, get him used to using that for comfort. Then if he wakes up, he will still have his blankie, so he *might* go back to sleep. I use that with my son. I find that if when I say his prayers with him, he has his blankie with him then he goes down easier and sleeps through the night. It will take time.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• You miight also want to consider NOT rocking him to sleep. Teach him to put himself to sleep. That way he will know HOW to put himself BACK to sleep when he wakes up, and he won't need you to put him back to sleep. (seems like now he thinks you are how he gets back to sleep). Again, it won't be easy, but it can definately be done. Also...Letting your kid cry for a bit is not CIO. So what you can try isrocking him till he is almost asleep, then lay him down, if he wakes up, pick him up, rock him a bit more, (not til he is asleep, but almost) and lay him back down, (yes this will get tedious, but it will be worth it in the end), and keep doing that, making the time you rock him less and less until he gets used to you laying him down when he is awake and he puts himself to sleep. (if you still like rocking him for 'together time' then try doing that during the day while reading a book or something)
    ProudSingleMum

• Thanks for the suggestions. I really do appreciate that you are trying to help. Personally, I feel CIO isn't good for the child and in *certain* cases amounts to child abuse. I'm not saying either of YOU or anyone else who suggests CIO are in fact abusing your children. There is evidence that CIO can seriously harm a child. I KNOW lack of sleep and waking that much isn't good for him either. And I'm fully aware he is doing it because he knows I will pick him up but I can not and will not let him CIO. Something I have heard of is the No Cry Sleep Method (or something to that effect) Anyone?
    Anonymous

• I will try to lovey, never thought of that! Thanks.

proudsinglemum - I know some fussing isn't CIO.. I will also try the method you suggested it sounds like a good idea. It's just the letting him cry himself to sleep that I can't deal with so I may modify it a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• the lovey***
    Anonymous

• I read the 90 minute sleep solution by Dr. Polley Moore. It really helped us!! It is all about following your child's natural sleep pattern and helping them learn to fall asleep. I was also surprised to learn how much nap time effected night sleeping.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I agree with you about the CIO method. It feels so wrong to not comfort a scared/worried/sad crying child.
    jcsscfam5

• for me i have a 26 month old and a 14 month old.. i never used to believe in cio.. however never thought it was abuse.. i was abused as a child trust me i know abuse.. but for me my 26 month old and my 14 month old both have a luvy and i had to have analiese become a cio baby at 12 months b ecause i didnt have enough hands to rock my toddler to bed and nurse my newborn.. but for me i went in every 10-15 mins to make sure she was ok until she passed out.. wasnt like i just let her cry for hours on end.. and now she sleeps from 830pm-730am nonstop and no crying.. my 14 month old was 13 months and still nursing 4-5 times a night and sleeping with me.. i couldnt take it.. so i let her cio and its been wonderful.. took all of 1 week.. my dh would go in and check on her because if i did it made it worse but she also sleeps from 830-7am nonstop most nights... . and if they r crying for a reason i go in of course.. so just a thought.
    musicangl

Answer by musicangl at 10:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2009