job application

if you left a job because of harrassment issues what would you put on future on-line applications when it asks "reason for leaving?" and "can we contact this employer?" i want to show that i've worked at this place for 2 yrs but i don't know how to say i quit and it look good. Also, what if they were to contact my manager (who was harrassing me) and she give me a bad wrap...if i do say its okay to contact her...or what if i say its not okay to contact them..

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Did you give notice? Was your attendance good? Your manager can't say much beyond that. You could get her in trouble.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would say "will explain". I hate an issue like yours dealing with racism and put will explain on mine and all had ended up good, so gl
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was in the same boat about a month ago. i had been there for three years. A new manager had started a few months prior. I had all I could stand of him.He was a sexist pig. I just took a chance and didn't use it. Because if they would have called him that sure wouldn't have helped either. Good Luck!!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• no i didnt give notice...she has called me names on 2 other occassions..where i had called HR and nothing was done..this last time was the final draw..and i walked out. My attendace was very good though..i've never been late and never missed a day without a doctors excuse
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• arenad..did the employer not wonder what you did for 3 years?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Did your company have an anti-harassment policy? Did you take it above her head (I.e., go to HR???) ? I'm an HR Director and I'd have one of our manager's heads before I'd let a good employee go, especially over a protected class issue! For me it's horrible when I lose a good employee over something I was never aware of or alerted about.
    To answer your question though... I'd say, "Philosophical disagreement, more detailed information available upon request. "
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I know that your former employer is very limited in what they can disclose to prospective employers. Generally these things are handled by the HR department, and not by the direct manager.

I'm not sure what you would put, maybe "irreconcilable differences" ?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'd go with what FeelinYummy said.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010