Give me your most frugal tip or trick, please.

I've got my budget pretty organized I could just make some things better. What is your trick or tip that you use for frugality.For instance I add a can of evaporated milk mixed with almost equal water to my 2% right around a half gallon. they usually do not notice the taste difference but I have like 15 or 20 cans I got for free so it is my most cost effective trick.

mom2priceboys

Asked by mom2priceboys at 9:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have a few --
    1.) stay away from restaurants & fast food places.
    2.) always meal-plan for a week or two, and make a detailed grocery list prior to going shopping. And don't get anything not on the list!
    3.) buying generic is usually cheaper than name brand with coupon.
    4.) any shape noodle and your favorite cream soup can make a meal to feed the whole family.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I get grocery coupons off the internet and type in different zip codes to get more coupons that match my grocery store add. I shop mostly from the add and make a 2 week menu (for4) and spend less than 100.00 every 2 weeks (including diapers).
    I also have bought all my kids Christmas gifts off Craigslist or gotten my/my sisters old stuff and cleaned it up (American girl Bitty Baby and all her stuff) out of my mom's garage for FREE!!!! My favorite deal of the year!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I make home made liquid laundry detergent. A batch makes 5 gallons for less than $3. It is easy to make, my whole family uses this and likes it. Here is the website, use the recipe for liquid detergent half way down the page.
    http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not quite as specific as you are asking for (cuz I'm terrible at frugality)... but I've been referred to a good site to get some help with my overspending disorder and it looks promising. http://www.feedthepig.org/

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i have a 3 1/2 month old and cold/flu season is coming so i have been cooking in the crockpot and then freezing stuff to try to cut back on trips to the 'germy' store : ) i made a whole crockpot full of amazing beef stew for less than 8 dollars by buying stew meat on sale, using broth from the dollar store, a McCormick brand flavor packet for 98 cents, and potatoes and celery and carrots from Aldi's....LOVE ALDI's!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Cook from scratch in batches and freeze extras for nights when you don't want to cook. Use coupons & shop at stores that double $1.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• . Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, easy, healthy, family and budget friendly;