Toddler calls me by my first name...how do I deal with this issue?

My 2 year old daughter constantly refers to me by my first name. I correct her repeatedly, but it doesn't seem to sink in. When asks where her momma or mommy is, she points to me. But she will call me by my first name! How do I correct this problem? He calls her father "daddy", so why won't she call me "mommy"??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not the worst thing for her to know your name. What if she were lost in a store? Also, it's probably a control issue. 2yo get on those, she sees you want her to do this, so she's gonna do that!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My 4 year old son does it too. I tell him I don't answer to that name when it's coming from him.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My 4 year old calls me by my first name too. It doesn't bother me though.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's never bothered me for my children to call me by my name. It's what they hear everyone else saying. The only suggestion I have is try having dh call you Mommy. They usually grow out of it pretty quick.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 9:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Ignore the child when called by your first name. Don't comment, explain or get upset. Giving attention to the behavior you want to change only gives the toddler more reason to do it.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 10:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We went through that and just laughed it off. We'd go, "WHAT did you call me? How funny! I'm not Danielle- I'm MOMMY!" and laugh it off. I think they just get a kick of finding out mommy & daddy's "other" names. But if your child was like "(NAME) may I have a drink"I'd maybe say, "Huh? Oh please just call me Mama/ Mommy, that's what I LOVE to be called" and maybe talk nonchalantly about how they like to be called certain things and don't care for other names, too.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• you just don't answer she says your name my be you can ask daddy to call you mommy from now on or honey ,yes she will call you honey .
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My LO refers to me Aunt Nene when my niece is here b/c that is what she calls me and she calls daddy uncle nate during the same time span. When she does that I just say "that's Mommy/Daddy to you" and my LO will repeat it. I think it is sweet that they learn to call us different things but they have to also learn what is respectful as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You need to sit her down with you and your SO and explain to her that yes John and Jane are your names but to her your names are Mommy and Daddy and that her calling either of you by your first names is disrespectful and hurtful so please refrain from calling us anything other than Mommy and Daddy. : )
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 10:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think it's a phase they go through. It's like they are realizing you have a name other than mommy. I think I'd just let it go, they'll outgrow it soon. My eldest did it with my dh and my 3 year old has started calling me by my first name. But it's mommy when he really needs me lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010