My 2 year old HATES his bed/ bedroom.

My son HATES his room. He won't play in there during the day unless my partner's niece iss in there with him. At bedtime it's a screaming fight and I don't know what to do. Tonight I leaned down and kissed him and he smacked me.

He has speech delays so I can't get why he hates the room/ bed so much. We've tried nightlights but he likes to turn them off or unplug them (which I don't feel is safe) and I don't know what to do.

We used to put a couple baby gates up so he wouldn't go into the living room or anything (YES we checked on him regularly). But this is so frustrating. If you need to know anything else please ask.

Mira_B

Asked by Mira_B at 9:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did you let him sleep with you as an infant or up until this point? If that is the case it could be seperation anxiety. I know it seems hard to believe for a 2 year old but it is the truth. Most parents don't realize it and it becomes a bigger problem then just not sleeping in there own room.

If this is not the case there are many other questions to ask. Is he getting enough physical activity during the day? Are you consistent with what time he goes to bed and naps? Children with consistency in their daily routine also tend to sleep better at night. Anemia from what I learned earlier today can also cause restlessness and irritability! Have you recently switched from a crib to a toddler bed? I am sure there are a million other possibilities as well.

What I do is stick to a bed and nap time, have never let my daughter sleep in bed with me and if she gets back up I take her straight back to bed.
    tisha1030

Answer by tisha1030 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He only slept with me til he was about 3 months old. After that he slept in his bed or bouncer if he was fussy. He's only slept with me (or in the room with me) like 4 times in the past year or so.

He's playing all day long (messing in EVERYTHING.), bedtime is normally at 8:30 nightly, the routine isn't perfect (what routine is) and naptime is always around 12:00... He's been in a toddler bed for about a year now... He was crawling out of his crib.

I try to take him back to bed when he gets up but it normally ends up in more screaming and a lot more flailing about. Then I walk out of the room and go to my room and then he ends up opening his gate (it doesn't latch anymore I just shut it to keep the animals out.)
    Mira_B

Comment by Mira_B (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It may take a few nights even up to a full week of just staying up until you know that he is asleep, but when he gets up take him back to bed. Don't say a word just tuck in and walk out. This can be very irritating and incredibly tiresome but he will eventually get the picture. The playing in the room is the age. My 2yo would rather play at my feet no matter where I am in the house instead of her room. When her friend comes over they play in her room and all over my house as well. I just make them clean up whatever mess they have made. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• have you tried laying down on or near his bed to see if anything might be scaring him? it could be a toy sitting in a position funny freaking him out.. or something...just a thought.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 11:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Have you thought about asking him what he would want his room to look like? Maybe if you do something in his room that he wants maybe he would be more willing to sleep in there.

How well, does he and your niece get along? If they play in there in the daytime, maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. Check on him more frequently when they play together and see if there might be something to it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My partner and I did the sitting up with him for a couple months. We got OMG frustrated with it. Which it's why we're trying to get him to stay in his room.

My partner and I had taken turns and read to him, sat with him til he passes out and then leave the room but as soon as we got up to walk out he'd wake up. Which is why we kinda gave up on that idea...

Normally I make him clean his room before bedtime and make sure everything is put away. And I make sure he has ALL his blankets (He has 5-6.) He's REALLY picky so I've been doing everything I can. And I'm about to tear my hair out.
    Mira_B

Comment by Mira_B (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Daemon has speech delays... His vocabluary is only about 60-70 words. So it's hard to understand what he's having a problem with. I've tried asking him what's wrong but all he does is cry/ scream and point to the couch in the living room saying, "Right There".

What do you mean "Watch them to see if there's more to it?" (This isn't meant to sound mean...)
    Mira_B

Comment by Mira_B (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• What about taking his toys out of the room? (don't know if that would be possible) Maybe it is to overwhelming for him. Is autism a possibility? My best friend has an autistic child who used to act out in unexplainable ways! such as fit throwing at bed and nap time, poop playing, screaming for no reason all while he was 2-3. He just turned 4 and has grown out of most of it!
    tisha1030

Answer by tisha1030 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Honestly I don't know... I don't think so his doctor has never mentioned it. And he's brilliant... (not that I'm saying autistic kid's aren't)...
    Mira_B

Comment by Mira_B (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2010