Does your kid ever refer to themselves in the third person?

My kid is so funny...whenever he sees himself in pictures he will say "that's Jojo"

sarlove01

Asked by sarlove01 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little guy used to do it when he was that age.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• All the time.

"That's Sody's apple!"

"That's Sody's brother!"

"I want Sody's toothbrush!"

By the way, her name is Rhapsody, we call her Sody for short lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When it is her turn to do something. "Lisey's turn--now Mommy's turn" When it is something like that, otherwise she refers to herself in the first person which is not normal for 2 apparently b/c my niece who is 4 can't even do that regularly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son has started this, I think it's cuz he is mimicking what we say all the time. He is speech delayed and in therapy but just today he started saying things like "night night Ty."
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I know it is super cute. I can't wait for my little guy to hit that stage. What is really interesting is that It is a function of development. It is a step in mind and social development. I'm pretty sure the sociologist George Herbert Mead writes about the development of self and the understanding of the difference between I and me in our minds. If you're interested in learning more, I'm sure could suggest some reading to you...
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 11:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010