Horrible neighbors

I live in an apartment complex. Things have started to get ugly. Firstly when I first moved in everyone was on their best behavior but I am pretty sure this snake of an apartment manager always tells people to behave when a new neighbor moves in. Paint a pretty picture you know. The people downstairs smoke so much pot. It is a couple the woman works and supports the bum pothead man living with her (who i think is not even on the lease). I smell pot in the morning, mid afternoon, night, late at night, always. It is also not in my head because when I work my mother or ex watches my son over here and they smell it all day long as well. Now the pot aside. People downstairs may have bedbugs. I overheard talk of it. I had my place inspected and nothing found and when the exterminator wanted to check their place as well they denied him entrance which tells me they have something to hide and don't mind living like dirtbags. cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It gets even uglier, they know I was probably the one who called on the bedbugs so now they are doing everything possible to get on my nerves and it is turning into borderline harassment. They even involved the people upstairs who were always friendly with me until now and seem to want to be enemies as well. As you can assume I am busy as hell, a working single mother should spell it out. I do not want to be bothered and have called repeadedly about to pot issue and I get ignored. The lease clearly states no drugs or any other unlawful activity or it is grounds for eviction. I am not even against pot but to smoke 24/7 and my baby has to breathe this air. I do not think I am being unreasonable. I cannot block off all radiators and vents either and i am assuming that is where it is coming from. I really can't move for financial reasons. Average rent for what I have in the city I live in is 1200 for what I am only paying 900 for
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I just want to know what recourse I have other then moving I am a good tenant I am quiet and pay my rent while the people downstairs are in the wrong. Should I contact a court or the police?? No bashing please this isn't an anti marijuana campaign it is just more like get a life a job and stop smoking 24/7 when the people upstairs from u who share a vent have a young baby with health problems at that and they know it....
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well you can definately contact the police, honestly if you are pretty sure they'll find pot, smell it and whatnot, what do you have to lose
    Anonymous

• Their is a "pot soda" in 8 flavors and 2 more extreme flavors, watermelon, and green apple if I am correct. It's made in Colorado and sold under the brand name it goes to in pharmacy, where one will need a prescription for it. It isn't a joke. It's licensed and bottled with rights to a prescription. If it's a gag, it's been on the internet. Hopefully if it's legally medicinal and sold this way, some of us will not need to put up with smoke in nearby apts.
    Anonymous

• More harassment. I am a single mother living alone and i feel ganged up on by all these parasites as it is. The landlord is breaking her contract as far as I am concerned she lets these people get away with murder but if anyone else as much does anything we hear it.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree, if you smell it call the cops. As for the bedbugs, if they had bedbugs you would know because you would have them too. If you think you see any call the complex manager immediately to have them exterminated!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not everyone in a complex will neccesarily get them and it could take a while weeks or months and yea I am worried but they are not being cooperative with that either. I already had my place checked.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's called .....Dixie Elixirs. {the pot soda}

If the landlord does nothing, then you need to see if you can get another apt paid for, just report this to a judge in your county, or magistrate, they don't put up with these things, as it is a violation of lease and endangerment to the other tenants in the bldg.
    And you can take them to court, or have them evicted. Both would work. If you are serious and can't get this in track ...take your complaint to the social services. They will at least document conditions. THIS DOCUMENTATION can and does go to a court. Children's services, social services, and the law, all of them together can and will help.
    Anonymous

• Thanks anonymous. I didn't know a court would take this serious especially as the tenant who basically pays the bills is a school teacher. A school teacher that supports a bum younger than her and smokes pot with him all day as well. Im sure they would love to hear that one. I am surprised they do not get routine drug tests. I find that absurd when people working retail minimum wage jobs do. Gotta love the logic of things.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Have you thought of complaining about your landlord? See if you can find out who is over her head (position wise), and see if you can do anything that way. Otherwise, I would call the cops when I smelled it again.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2010