Party this Thursday

Hey ladies. I have a few families coming Thursday.

1. I thought about caramel apples- should I have whole or sliced apples? Prepare these to eat in house or take home? What toppings? I like peanuts.

2. Trying to think of activities and the kids range from age 2-16! Please read these ideas, tell me what you think/ like;

* popcorn relay-line up in 2 lines (teams) passing popcorn down the line to fill up the empty bowl on the other end. Whoever gets their bowl full first wins

* craft- either making bird feeder pinecones (sounds messy) or crayon shavings leave wall hangings??

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 9:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Carmel apples sound great - why don't you make that the activity? Whole apples, popsicle sticks, and maybe have a couple different toppings (eg. peanuts, smarties, graham pieces, etc.). The older kids could help the younger ones. Kids can eat them there, but you could have some bags or parchment paper available for if they want to take them home instead.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 11:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Slice the carmel apples, they'll be easier to eat. Just wait to do it until right before everyone's arrival so they don't brown. You could also sprinkle them with lemon juice to keep them fresh looking. Toppings are fine, just offer a small variety.

Crafts are fun, but messy, and little kids won't be able to do it that well, and someone 16 would think it's lame. Try games, the popcorn thing sounds fun, but messy Maybe a bean bag toss, the string game (have an older kid take some yarn and run it around the house, over and under furniture, etc, at the end of the string hide a prize. You can do it with multiple colored strings all at the same time. Have the kids work in teams or not. You could also make holiday cookies with all of them. Have the cookie dough ready ahead of time and use cutters and lots of decorations. Cover your table in garbage bags (and an old shower curtain under) to help with the mess
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 11:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i really like allaye's idea. also, pinecone birdfeeders is so easy and not that messy. Pinecones, peanut butter and birdseed, done. i also made christmas tree decorations with pinecones when i was younger. with halloween around the corner, have u thought of having the kids make their own decorations or costume accessories like masks or wands?
    hotrockermama

Answer by hotrockermama at 11:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I like Allaye idea
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• One of the families does not celebrate Halloween, so I wanted to steer clear. I love pumpkin crrafts but it is going to be a large crowd and honestly I don't think I can afford all of those pumpkins :(
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Thanks everyone. Peanutbutter on it's own can choke birds, but I think you can cut it with butter to help break it down. We did make pinecone feeders at one of my daughter's birthday parties. It's a thought, thanks!
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• These are some great answers!!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010