Why do people bash people on Craigslist for trying to rehome pets?

I was looking on there and when people are rehoming a pet (one on there right now is a horse named Ginger) other people are putting up reply postings calling them names and saying they are bad people just for trying to rehome a pet. ESPECIALLY is the person says they love the animal it is much worse. I just thought it was kinda crazy.

Caoimhe_Oona

Asked by Caoimhe_Oona at 10:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is really sad. I didn't know that people did stuff like that, especially when someone who really loves the animal is trying to find it a good home b/c they can no longer care for it properly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I guess they would rather see the animal put to sleep through no fault of its own. They didn't asked to be born, they didn't ask to die.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• That is pretty crazy. We gave our dog to a family off Craigslist. They actually posted an ad first, asking or a Shih Tzu bc theirs had died. They are the nicest people and have emailed us with pics of her and everything. We could have charged a re-homing fee, but because we really felt they'd love her and take care of her, we just gave her to them. We hated to get rid of her, but we had to for different reasons. Anyways, needless to say, Craigslist worked well for us.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree that craigslist works well. I just thought it was sad that people were doing this on there. Some people I guess just aren't kindhearted.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Comment by Caoimhe_Oona (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Because a lot of people will sell pets on craigslist and call it a rehoming fee. Craigslist doesn't want to encourage the breeding and sale of pets for profit. A lot of rescues and shelters advertise on craigslist. The other concern is the health and condition of the pet. Have they been vet checked, shots, checked for parasites, disposition. The person may not be being honest about reasons for rehoming,and shelters and rescues screen each pet before adoption. Yes, some people get a little carried away with it,I agree, but I do understand why it can be upsetting.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Its true people on Craigslist are awful. I think people get a little overheated and emotional. I've gotten all my animals (i have zoo- seriously) but one from craigslist. And I can't imagine how hard it must be to rehome your pet, but with all that judging and unnecessary cruelty must make it so much worse.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 10:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Another problem with it is the person posting really doesn't have a good idea of who's getting the animal and what they are going to do with it. Sad but true.
    momofne

Answer by momofne at 12:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Selling or "rehoming" of animals is against craigslist policy at least here it is. I don't know why, if you are trying to find a loving home for a pet. I think here they are afraid dogs are sold for dog fighting rings.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010