What do you think about the lunches and breakfasts offered in public schools?

Did you watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? I loved it, but apparently a lot of people think there is nothing wrong with our kids food they serve at school. Being well-informed about nutrition, I do not consider any of the foods at many of the public schools I have seen to be at all healthy. My daughter often gets the salads from school because that's the best option. One day she didn't even know if her meat was fish or chicken lol. My son got the chef salad at school and his ham was still frozen. However, they have to make the best choices of what they have available because they qualify for reduced price lunches for only 40 cents a day, which I can't afford to make them a lunch for less than that. Can't send PB&honey sandwiches, can't send leftovers because they have no refrigerator or microwave to use, so they choose the best option available. I think menus need to be totally revamped IMHO.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Government buys the cheapest (lowest quality) of food possible filled with artificials & preservatives. My kids take their lunches. I will not feed my kids that crap.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• They are the reason I make both our sons lunch every morning.... They eat breakfast at home, which I will admit is only cereal, waffles or pancakes,lol... So not really much better than at school.... But at least I know what's going in them, and it's not full of fat.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I never ate more pizza in my entire life than I did in school.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Personally my son's school had/has a great lunch program.. and the lunch lady.. is EXCELLENT. I couldn't be more pleased.. I also think VERY FEW PEOPLE KNOW THE RESPONCIBILITIES THE HEAD LUNCH PERSON.. HAS... She litterally is the one the government goes to to decide what federal funding your school gets each day through out the year... Alot more than just COOKING.. TRUST ME!
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• 1. I LOVED Jamie Oliver's revolution. He really did a wonderful job
    2. My kids aren't in public school but I think with all the moms working having to pay for gas and clothing for work, plus the single families, or those out of work, it is really nice that the kids do have a way to eat.
    3. But as for the CONTENT, there are some schools that do not even have a salad bar. That's just not right :/
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, my son isn't even in school yet. However, in my high school, the food was horribly nutritionally. We had tons of options (my high school cafeteria looked like a mall food court, lol), but it was all pizza, fattening (but delicious!) Mexican food, mozzarella sticks, donuts, cheeseburgers, chips...all that kinda stuff, and the a la carte menu was huge...but the ONLY healthy, low-fat thing was a small veggie tray. I would try to eat really healthy in high school, and the school offered nothing even remotely healthy. I went to a very rich high school too. With the amenities and money they had, I'd think they could have gotten something better than they did.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• horrible nutritionally*
    LovingSAHMommy

• They suck. My daughter takes her lunch even though she gets reduced lunch because the food sucks and she will not eat it. She is picky on what she will eat. I think they need healther foods for kids. They says kids need a healthy meal to function well in class but they dont feed them what they need. OUr school even serves cracker and cheese for lunch on some days, what kind of lunch is that.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 10:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i was working in a school here, and was eating lunch for a bit. one day, the only "veggie" they had was fries....... the cafeteria lady was so confused as to why i only wanted 1 serving. 1 serving=2 (the size of mcdonald's) medium fries. no lie. it was disgusting. everything is smothered to the point of not being able to recognize what the edible is.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Being a sub I have had lunch in every school cafeteria in the county and I can tell you that none of them are very appealing.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010