Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


someone in my family is pregnant she just found out! and she dont want to keep the baby because she cant afford 2 kids, she lives in Texas and i live in illinois. If i wanted to adopt her baby would we have to go to an agency or could we just go to court where she could sign her rights over?

Answer Question

Asked by butterfly545 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Adoption

Level 3 (22 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I would think yall can get a lawyer do a private adoption and skip the agency.

    Answer by gratefulangel77 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • You just need to hire and adoption attorney who can do interstate adoption.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • An adoption attorney could handle this. Each of you should have one of your own so that your best interests are covered.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • you have to go through a lawyer. And the court to change the last name birth certificate. will run about 3,500 with attorneys fees and paperwork fees. I don't know if you have to pay for the court fees we never got that far with my sister.

    Answer by txlady06 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • every state is CT it is ILLEGAL to not go theough an agency...I am not sure which state you would be adopting from but I would assume it is Texas.

    Answer by coolchic320 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • You can probably do a private adoption through lawyers. I would Google something like "adopting sister's baby from another state"

    Answer by _Tam_ at 5:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • I can't answer about the legalities, but just wanted to let you know not to get your hopes up because she may change her mind closer to or after birth of the baby. She may be overwhelmed with the 1 & not realizing that she can handle 2 yet. It says a lot about you that she called you first. She must think of you as a loving, caring, nurturing person and I'm sure it was hard to make that call. Please be there to support her in every way & suggest to her that there are resources that can help her meet her kids' needs. She can get on WIC for formula or other items if she breastfeeds, food stamps, medicaid for the pregnancy, and baby clothes are cheap at thrift stores. I'm not trying to discourage you or questioning her thought processes, but it would be a tragedy if later on she followed thru with the adoption because she felt like she owed you for being supportive in her time of need. I'm in TX if you want to PM me for info.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • Hi, from Texas also. There are many resources available to your family member.A good place to start is her county hospital.They should have offices that will lead her to get a county hospital card and medicaid.There will also be a WIC office that will lead to The Lone Star card for other food.It can be the beginning of a path of receiving support for all three.If she is 21 or younger many have teen health clinics that support struggling mothers in several areas of need.


    Answer by drfink at 10:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • You would need an attorney, but wouldn't have to go through an agency

    Answer by TALuke at 3:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.