What is the difference between Catholics and Christians?

i want to know what the difference is between catholics and christians? what rosary beeds are? why catholics pray to mary and what for? and when and where to make a confession? can anybody help?

LisaLand33

Asked by LisaLand33 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• catholics are christians.
    the rosary beads help us pray.
    personally, i pray to God. I know some feel more comfortable praying to Mary.
    confession can happen in those booths, like in the movies, or it can be just a talk, face to face with a priest.
    the Catholic Church is rich in Traditions that are scripture based, and other traditions that are just a part of the church.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Catholics Hail Mary and require you to give confessions at least once per month. Pretestants (all other Christians) recognize Mary as Jesus's mother, the do not laud her like Christ. And, confession is a voluntary thing between a person and their pastor, minister, preacher, etc.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Personally (as a person baptized and confirmed Catholic) I see no difference between being Catholic and being Christian. I now don't even refer to myself as Catholic and think all denominations should be done away with and it should just be Christianity...but that's my opinion.

Rosary Beads are used generally after confession and during prayer. There's an entire rosary bead prayer ceremony-type thing (I've only been involved in one of them)...you say 10 Hail Mary prayers and 1 Our Father prayer and repeat until you are through the entire necklace of beads. I believe there's some other prayers in there too...

I believe Mary is higher up on the totem pole (so to speak) because she is Jesus' mother. She is the Virgin Mary.

And confession can be done at any time (I believe) in a confessional at the church.

--This is my understanding of it all. Again...I was baptized and confirmed, but no longer call myself Catholic though...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 10:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i apologize i know from history catholics are christians. i said that wrong. what i wanted to know is what's the difference between the catholic practices and other christian practice? and how do the beads help you pray?
    LisaLand33

Comment by LisaLand33 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• *Protestants - sorry for typo. Took my contacts out for the evening. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• There are prayers that you say as you run the roasary through your hands. Each bead has a prayer to go with it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Catholics are Christians. They were the first really organized Chrisitan faith. A rosary is used while praying special prayers. Each bead means something and the simple litany of it is extremely comforting. We do not pray to Mary nor do we see her as a co-redemtrix. Some of us may pray and ask Mary to pray for us..it is no different than if you ask other people to pray for you. For me confession is like going to a counseling session, sin can cause a lot of stress! We don't have a mandatory amount of times we have to go.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• so where can i find the prayers to go with the rosary?
    LisaLand33

Comment by LisaLand33 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• http://www.newadvent.org/images/rosary.pdf

I keep my rosary next to my bed along with the Holy Bible.  They are both very special to me.

LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2010