Is your parenting different now that your child is here?

Lets face it, When we see those two red lines our minds go a million miles an hour and we tell ourselves all the things we're gonna do different. What we're gonna let our kids do and not do. I remember saying "my kids will never watch TV or eat cookies and junk food" but now that my son is here sometimes the tv helps me keep him occupied while I get things done around the house although he doesnt watch it half the time. And a cookie here and there never hurt anyone. Anything you said you were or weren't going to do with your kids and did you follow through?

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I am still Authoritative and as far as I can see I always will be. :)
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 10:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Absolutely. I always said I'd never co-sleep and I'd breastfeed no more than a year... then I learned all about attachment parenting and realized my natural parenting style gravitates heavily towards this style, so after DD was about 9 or 10 months old she slept in the bed with me until she turned 2. I loved every second and wouldn't change a thing. I did try to put her in her crib a few times but she woke EVERY TIME as I was laying her down. Also DH worked nights and I just felt safer with her right next to me - (well separated with a pillow). I felt I could protect her better. I exclusively BF'd until she was 5 mo and BOY was she ready for solids! I continued to BF for most of her feedings thru the day until 1 yr, when I began the "don't offer don't refuse" weaning method... and when I got pregnant shortly after she turned 2 she was down to just a night time nursing, which she easily weaned from with no problems.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Of course. I am definately not the parent that I said I was going to be, but the kids are still young. I can still change things if I feel there is a change needed. I try to impliment some things that I believed before the kids were born, but once they got here I went with the flow. They're happy, loving, full of energy kids and so I don't feel that my ideal parenting would've changed much. The only thing it might've changed was punishments, yelling, and maybe a more smoothly run household. We're good though. Basically the mom I wanted to be was 100% playing with the kids, no yelling, always active kind of parenting. And I try not to yell, I do play with my kids alot but there's housework that needs to be done too, and we aren't as active as we could be. Like I said though, they're still young, so anything that I think should be changed will be changed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, a lot different than I had planned.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would say yes and no.
    Before DD was born, I said she wouldnt watch TV until she was 2. And she does watch TV sometimes, but I dont use it as a babysitter. She loves to watch Snow White before bed. So we sit together and watch and sing.
    Also, I said I would be strict, and let her cry it out.. but for the first months, I couldnt. But now that she is almost 17 months I can say I did let her cry it out, and she is on a schedule, and I am somewhat strict about bad behavior.
    Lastly, junk food. I said I didnt want her having junk food for at least a year after she was born. And I accomplished that :) And even now, she never eats junk food when she is home or with her father or me. BUT I know that when she goes to my inlaws, she will eat some junk food. But there is a limit, and if needed, I will say something
    For the most part, I am pretty much how I said I would be, I just know my some arent the same way, and thats ok too.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No, I am still pretty strict, the way I thought I would be
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2010