Going to have a repeat C-sect - will a scheduled delivery affect my milk coming in?

With DD labor was smooth until her cord got around her neck, then they had to do an emergency c-sect. Now I'm 23 weeks with my second, and I opted to go ahead and do another c-sect because I'm afraid of the scar tearing or something going terribly wrong, even though I know they have successful VBAC's all the time. Breastfeeding is very important to me, it didn't occur to me until now that maybe a scheduled delivery might affect the natural rhythm of my body and maybe my milk won't come in right away? Any of you repeat c-sect. mamas have some input? They DO schedule it a little early, right? They don't want you to go into labor, right?

(Also sorry it's not really a "pregnancy" question but I didn't know what else to put it under) :D

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The release of the placenta is the physical event that matches the hormone response indicator to make milk. Since yours will be manually removed, there could be a little delay.

Most women have milk come in between days 3-5. You're probably making colostrum now, which is all your baby needs in those first couple of days.

There are OBs who specialize in VBAC delivery if you are very worried about the repeat C and your breast feeding relationship.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Nope. I was able to breastfeed 2/3 of my babies with scheduled c-sections. You will probably be scheduled at 39 weeks. You will do fine!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I had two scheduled c-secs and my milk came in right away with both.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 10:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Milk comes after baby is delivered, wether its natural or surgery. There are special hormones released in your body that will bring in milk. The number of weeks you are wont matter. I had a c-sec and then a vbac. Milk was there by the 2nd day for both babies.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I had a scheduled c-section with my first. My milk came in just fine.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010