I'm gonna LOSE my mind..

my toddler, who will be two next month, is FIGHTING us on naptime and bedtime...and I'm just at the end of my rope...
he normally naps in the early afternoon for a few hours and then is in bed by 8:30p at the latest...
the past few days he's been fighting them both...most times he's not falling asleep for a nap until mid-late afternoon...and then isn't going to bed until long after 9:30p...
it's just frustrating that he's becomong SO far off of his normal schedule...
I know this is normal for this stage in the game...but how do you deal with your toddler fighting bedtime? I just don't know what to do or what to try...I can't FORCE him to sleep..and I can't even seem to keep him in his bed...

thanks so much in advance for your replies...

-mrs.mamma-

Asked by -mrs.mamma- at 10:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, my son went through that. He's 3 but at that age he fought about laying down too. I gave him warm milk and laid down with him. Good luck!
    mistrs_momma

Answer by mistrs_momma at 10:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Just keep doing the same routine. He may be teething also. When something is up my daughter use to do this. She just turned 3.
    She goes to bed at 7:45 pm and will wake at 8:00am but this past week she is getting up at 7:30am. Then she will go back to her normal schedule. My daughter also still naps.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When my DD started doing that I started letting her watch a movie at nap time and fall asleep on the couch. She was willing to nap in her room but she had too deep of a sleep and waking her up was misery! On the couch, she'd wake up on her own when she had enough sleep.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 10:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• With four kids, each of mine have been different.... but they've all gone through the fighting nap phase. We're in it right now with my daughter who's two years and four months. Some days, honestly, we don't nap. I just deal with the crankies, knowing she'll go to bed at least an hour or two earlier than normal. Other days, I take her in the bedroom and pull the curtains to and we nurse til she falls asleep. Probably you're not still nursing (though yay for you if you are) but it seems with mine, it helps to get them some place quiet and dimly lit and just to lay with them til they fall to sleep.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• he could just be changing his schedule...my son does it all the time lol. when my son first started fighting naps, even when the schedule change was established, I just allowed him to have some quiet playtime...as long as he was quiet and content in his room. He eventually started crawling in bed to sleep. As for bedtime, I start the bedtime routine about an hour before bed. Bath if needed, plenty of time to sit on the potty, let him look through how ever many books or I'll read however many books and i let him take whatever toys he wants to his room which is usually his train. Once he settles down, he realizes he's tired and climbs right into bed. Not that I let him take control and keep him up till he's tired...it's all within the hour and he's usually in bed by 9pm
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i would wake him up early each morning 6am yes you will lose sleep but if you do this for awhile he will get tried
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Dont pull ur hair out let him play..and the first time he starts crying at ur knees say ok bedtime...but when u force them it makes the rebell alot more trust me lol...ive learned that if there not to tired let them play until they get tired...always warm chocolate milk works for my son...just make sure it sugar free!!!lol
    Kat438

Answer by Kat438 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• do you have a baby gate? put it in his door at night when you put him to bed... if he gets up he gets up, but at least he cannot leave his room.. alot of parents do this, and works out well for them. good luck
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 9:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yikes, that is tough! Know that it is a phase (tho phases can be long, lol) and will pass. Stay consistent and don't give in! I suppose it is possible he might be ready to give up naps, as it seems like some kids may at a young age (not mine fortunately, but I have heard of it). Is he crabby if he skips a nap? Have you tried reading to him or following some routine to get him in the nap / bedtime mode? I agree, that you can't force a kid to nap! You can enforce a Quiet time where there will be no playing but he could stay in his room and listen to a lullaby or calmer CD, look at books, something alone and QUIET! GL!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• ok, first ther is no normal with a toddler. lol second you are not the only one out there that is going through this. Does you child have his/ her own room? we have our child sometimes cry to sleep and sometimes watch a program that is not hers so she slowly drifts off. watch what the child is eating and drinking at what time.. it will be aLL RIGHT
    dolphin6975

Answer by dolphin6975 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010