Does anyone know about absentee ballots only being counted if the election is close?

I'm hearing that absentee ballots are only counted if an election is close...I voted absentee ballot and it doesn't make sense...why allow absentee voting then? Can someone explain the thought process behind this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Absentee ballots are COUNTED, don't let any one tell you any different. I just had this conversation with an attorney.........
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 11:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It's all the electoral college anyway, it's not like they are counting every individual vote anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Um, yeah they do count them.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• The electoral vote is that everyone gets a chance to have a voice. If 10 people lived in Fl. but, 8 of them voted for McCain, McCain would win that state. Its majority in each state. My vote doesn't count for any other state but my own. But, the more states that vote for one certain candidate win the election.
    McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 12:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Oh and yes, absentee votes count just as if you did it in person. That's why election day is soooooooooooo long. It takes forever to get all this in.
    McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 12:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Absentee ballots are supposed to be counted like regular votes. In '04 there was a huge problem with absentee/provisional ballots not being counted in Ohio. (I voted absentee because I was out of state at school.) They're supposed to have fixed it this year. Hope so!

Also, the electoral system does need updated. Most states don't require their electors to vote the way of the popular vote... so it doesn't necessarily guarantee anyone a voice, other than the members of the EC.
    AaronsMommy1015

Answer by AaronsMommy1015 at 5:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2008