I am thinking about starting to introduce potty training my 16 month old. Is it to soon?

TrystansMom09

Asked by TrystansMom09 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I introduced potty training to my son at this age.
    mistrs_momma

Answer by mistrs_momma at 11:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• it depends on the kid. if he is curious about the restroom and can communicate with u about needing to go or having gone, then go for it.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 11:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• potty training is more of a readiness thing than an age thing. But usually it's best to wait till they are between 2-3 because they can absorb more information and tell you when they have to go, plus their bodily functions are more developed (bladder and muscle control occur naturally...I dont understand why some people night train their kids) . Does your 16 month old have any readiness signs? You could always teach the basics at this age, simply take your child in the bathroom with you and do a show and tell: "mama is going pee pee in the potty", "time to flush the potty! bye bye pee pee!", "time to wash wash wash the hands!"... youngens learn by repetition and example! There are some great potty dvd's and books aimed for the younger crowd!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He has a potty chair that he has in our bathroom that he plays with everytime we go in there but he does not sit on it only when i put him on there then he just claps his hands and stands up but what are some signs i should look for?
    TrystansMom09

Comment by TrystansMom09 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Depends on your child really. Some are ready at that age, others not so much. Doesn't hurt to try though! My DD is 16 months and we've introduced her to the potty starting at 15 months and she's made #2 about a dozen or so times.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• when he soils his diaper and tries to take it off, or if he lets you know one way or another it's time to get changed... those are good signs. So is staying dry upon waking from bed
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I honestly think they will let you know when they are ready. You can introduce the concept, but they won't be potty trained until they are ready.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son will be 16 months on wednesday. I plan to introduce the potty soon. He takes off his diaper and poops on the floor and tries to clean it up. Or he poops in the diaper and takes it off, same thing if he gets too wet for his liking. These are signs of readiness so im going to give it a whirl. I dont expect anything from him and i will not push him. But if he is ready im right here for support and ready to go :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2010