Going to into Public Restroom by Self?

At what age is it appropriate to allow your child to go into the stall of a public restroom by themselves? I'm talking about them locking the door with you on the outside...

My daughter is 4 and has just started wanting to do this. I've been allowing it, but it makes me so nervous...

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is 4 and she just started that too. I check the stall before she goes in and either use the one next to it or stand outside. It seems to be her way of testing her independence and I am ok with that... as long as I am near by :) She has to learn to do it on her own someday anyways.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 2:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• my daughter is 6 and i STILL go in cuz i would not want her touching anything...so many dirty people just walk out and live pee, poop and ever monthly things around...so have to go set the bathroom up and hold her so NO BODY PARTS TOUCHES ANYTHING....
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• with my son his 9 if he wants to go i open the door announce if there anyone there or walk in and look...then let my son use the bathroom and if anyone was to go in i would asked them to give my son a minute...cuz i do not trust anyone...a lot of kids have been abused in bathrooms...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I dont think I would allow that, but I can't say, because my oldest is only 2. There are so many sick people out there, I just can't imagine. Unless it's a stall by itself, and not one next to it. which is rare lol.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Definitely not at 4, much too young. I actually went into a public restroom and opened a stall door, and there was a man in there crouching with his feet up on the toilet seat. It was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. He didn't do anything, and I just got the heck out of there , but what if a child had gone in there??

Nope, my boys were 9 or 10, and I stood outside the door and would call into the men's room if they didn't come out quickly enough.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't let mine for so many reasons. Even if you check to make sure no one else is in there you have to think of the sanitation. Kids that age touch just about anything then rub their hands on their face, mouth, everywhere. Yuck.
    amandagrass

Answer by amandagrass at 8:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son is three and I let him go into the stall by himself. However, I don't let him lock the door; I stand there and hold it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I let my 4 year old son do that.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Why would it make you nervous?

My youngest daughter has been using a stall on her own since she figured out how to get on the seat without falling in so at about 3 1/2.  We don't worry about germs and she washes her hands after she uses the toilet.  Half the time I don't even go into the bathroom.  Her older sisters take her (they are 8 and 10).  And a couple weeks ago we were out to eat and me and my husband had just sat down to eat (the kids food came earlier) and she had to go so my 9yo son took her over to the bathrooms but she refused to go into the boys room so he opened the girls room door and waited outside for her to be done.  I thought that was really cute.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Well, I have a curious little boy so it will probably be a long time before I let him use a stall on his own. He has to inspect everything so it would take like 10 minutes if I didn't keep him focused. lol
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010