Is a midwife trained to handle medical emergencies in birth?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 11:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• theycan't give you a c-sec or administer drugs I am pretty sure of that. They are for low-risk moms-to-be.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Agreed, but my midwife was through teh local clinic(huge clinic with a bunch of specialist/family docs etc) and was overseen by a OBGYN who actually took over my case when I required a C-section.

She did administer both meds during pregnancy(nausea and infection etc) as well as drugs for my induction(didn't work). She had hospital privledges because she was partnered with the doc.

So I say it varies on what they can and can't do..best bet is meet with them and interview them.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When my midwife delivered my son there was an OB who kept peaking into the room. Just before my son was born his cord got pinched and it was around his neck so the midwife whispered to my Mom to go and get him (the OB) when my son's heart rate did not come back up. However, by the time he got back into the room my son had already been born and the nurses were rubbing him with cloths to try and get him to "pink up." So the doctor ended up just stitching me up because I tore so badly the midwife did not feel comfortable doing it.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• A nurse midwife CAN administer medications. They are trained to know when to go to a hospital and let doctor take over.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with tntmom.....I think the level of training and what they can/can't do varies.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The training doesn't vary so much as hospital policies and state laws vary. CNMs are allowed to give meds, and are trained to handle most emergencies, but if you need a c-section, OBs are surgeons, whereas midwives are not. There's a difference between a CNM (certified nurse midwife) and a lay midwife or licensed midwife, who has very limited training, which DOES vary.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2010