15 mo son & eating habits

Somehow, some way my son became a picky eater. He LOVES fresh fruits and veggies. He would just eat fruit all day if I let him. That's great. But he's not much into meats. He likes spaghetti which I make with sausage. He likes Tyson chicken nuggets. Occasionally he'll take bites of my roast beef or ham sandwich. But I have a hard time getting him to just eat other meats, or any meats by themselves (not on a sandwich or nugget). He loves pasta & rice too. Anyway, I struggle for ideas of meals for him. And I worry he isn't eating enough so I'm always getting out (healthy - semi healthy) snacks during the day. ADVICE? Recipes? Btw - he's perfectly healthy. Weighed 9 lbs at birth, breastfed from birth, and recently at his 15 mo check up he was 21 lbs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its normal. my 19 mo did the same thing around that age, and is doing it now again too...i think it is because she is getting more teeth in..she never seems to be hungry when teething.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i think you should hide meat in things, for example, when you make speggati, put little pieces of chicken or ground beef cooked very well. if you make rice, put little pieces of chicken and veggies and butter and mix it all together. just mix the meat with things so that he doesnt even know its there. eggs are also a good source of protein and so is peanut butter. just keep offering him all different things.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• my 14 month old ds dosen't care for much meat... i think it's a texture thing, my dd didn't like it either until she was about 2 and a half
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have read that toddlers will quite often not like meat. I wasn't sure I believed it - my 2 older kids were carnivores from the beginning! But my youngest is picky when it comes to meat. He will occasionally eat chicken, he refuses to eat ham or turkey, he LOVES venison, and depending on the day he may or may not like burger. We don't do nuggets because he has a food allergy, so we try to go as natural as we can. I found some all beef Kosher hot dogs that he just loves!! I know - hot dogs aren't the most nutritious thing out there, but he likes them :)

mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010