Have you ever heard of having to use a dishwasher every 2 days or else it will seize up??

My brother just moved into an apt and was told he had to run the dishwasher every 2 days or else the motor would seize up and stop working. He forgot and it siezed up, when they came to fix it he was told that if it happens again he will have to pay for it. That doesn't sound right to me. I've never heard that before.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Um yeah no, something's not right about that. I have gone on vacation for 40 days before and my dishwasher was just fine...and it's definitely not new lol. I'd have him ask someone who knows about dishwashers (go to a home appliance store, etc) and see what they think, then I would have him bring it up with the landlord. Normally there are laws that if something isn't working properly, the landlord has to replace it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• sounds like a shitty landlord that wont pay for a new dishwasher.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• LOL that is totally untrue. Landlord is hiding something. I would tell bro to move out when the lease is up!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• most states have tenant rights and if the Landlord does not fix things, the tenant can move out before a lease is up.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Ive NEVER EVER heard of that...i think they are trying to hide an issue that was pre-exsisting and are going to pin it on him when it happens again...however i do do dishes about every 2 days anyway so...?
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• That means that the motor needs REPLACING and they are too dang cheap to replace it. Dishwashers and their motors should be able to sit for days with out use and not seizing up.

Hubby has worked as an engineer and manager in the appliance industry for over 15 years and what the landlord is trying with your brother is bull. That being said - a dishwasher isn't necessary for living unless it is mentioned in the rental agreement - or was mentioned in the ad.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• That is so funny! What would you do if you went away on vacation for 2 weeks? Would you ask someone to come over and run the dishwasher every other day? :LOL. The Landlord is nuts.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No I bet they have it rigged I would move out I have never heard about the dishwasher not being used it will break and that is total BS that a tenant has to pay for something the landlord should be fixing in the first place. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Since they told him to run it every 2 days they know its broken and he has a valid argument in that.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• no. that sounds false to me. but idk . i have had dishwashers before and not had to run them every two days and they were fine. something is not on the level.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 12:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010