Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another question for people in apartments......

I got a paper today from my landlords and they are raising my rent to $720 a month, I have been paying $710. This is not the issue. In the newspaper they have an advertisement for the same apartment I live in for $660. I don't understand why the difference between someone new moving and and the people who have been living here for years. Do you think that this is right?


Asked by amessageofhope at 12:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 23 (17,397 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • There are laws against it. Its discrimination. But are you sure the apt in the paper isn't for less bedrooms or maybe you are grandfathered in and your water is included in rent but new tenants must pay for water?

    Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • Tell them about the ad you saw. More than likely they will offer the same rate to you. Only if you ask though.

    Answer by keisha613 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • you should ask but it might be a different kind of apt or something. i pay an extra 25 bucks to have a better view, lol.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • Tell them you want to move down the hall to that one! lol
    It's usually an increase to cover empty apartments.

    Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • talk to them, that happened in ours when others were paying $50 less and we talked to them and now its all equal :)

    Answer by meagan678 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • Ask these people and find out why you are paying more

    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • Find that ad and take it (and the notice) to your landlord and ask what the deal is. I would also scope out other apartments comparable to your own, but for cheaper and tell him that you'll talk to the other tenants about leaving him high and dry if he doesn't keep the rent at the amount you're used to pay OR change the rent to what's in the paper.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 10:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2010